PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007   #1
Vicuna

Phyllisva is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22
Default Pentax vs Nikon ?

I posted this in the Canon forum too ...just looking for help with a big $$ decision. I feel like my photo friends always look down on me just because I use Pentax ?? I have always used Pentax . I have owned every SLR camera that they have ever made . I have a D*ist ...and I am looking to upgrade . I was thinking about a Nikon or Canon ...but now I am seriously concidering the KD10 .... someone please help me decide . Why would I change ? What makes Nikon better ?

Old 03-28-2007   #2
Bactrian

notsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 983
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Pentax vs Nikon ?

Pleas click this link http://www.photocamel.com/forum/othe...tep-child.html

My Flikr http://www.flickr.com/photos/wine_glass_star/sets/
notsotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #3
F1 Camel

Nikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1439

Tell them to stop being equipnophobes. The image is what matters, not the tool used.

No one cares what kind of hammers the roofers used to put your roof on the house... only the end result.

Julio
Old 03-28-2007   #4
Bactrian

notsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of lightnotsotechie is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 983
Editing OK?: Ask first

you took the word out of my mouth Nikonfreak.

My Flikr http://www.flickr.com/photos/wine_glass_star/sets/
notsotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3890333
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsotechie View Post
The same posted both threads.

Anyway, read the other thread anyway. Good answers in it.

In a nutshell, who cares? No matter what you shoot, some people will think something about you. Shoot what works and is right for you. If they don't like your equipment, show them images. If they don't like your equipment and images, find new friends. Ones that will encourage you and not belittle you or your work.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

cyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1089007
Editing OK?: No

If you like Pentax, and Pentax does what you want it to, then keep using Pentax. The K10D looks like a fabulous camera; I'd certainly get it if I was a Pentax user. I'm sure you have some fine Pentax glass already, so just get a camera that can use it.
Old 03-28-2007   #7
Llama

Marc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Kurth has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 28763

Follow your instincts. I know that I can capture really bad images with any camera system, and I'm willing to bet that other folks can too!

Marc
Marc Kurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #8
Alpaca

stefan_elf is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Oh not this kind of brand discussion again...
What counts is your feeling - just like the people above has said. Go and try different cameras out! I only know that when I'm out photographing, I do not engage my brain (some would say I never do anyway...) - what I mean is, I simply take photos, play around, try different things, and enjoy the whole experience. If the camera that I've got gives me joy, I'll keep it. If it has little annoying habits or if the controls are non-intuitive, I'll be looking for a different camera quite soon... So, don't listen to any advice - just determine for yourself what suits you. That is, if you feel anything like me about photography... =)
stefan_elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #9
Llama

PavelOlavich will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllisva View Post
I posted this in the Canon forum too ...just looking for help with a big $$ decision. I feel like my photo friends always look down on me just because I use Pentax ?? I have always used Pentax . I have owned every SLR camera that they have ever made . I have a D*ist ...and I am looking to upgrade . I was thinking about a Nikon or Canon ...but now I am seriously concidering the KD10 .... someone please help me decide . Why would I change ? What makes Nikon better ?

They're all wrong...the "hammer" used to bang in the nails does matter....try banging in a nail with the wrong hammer....like a ball ping hammer for example....

Someone wrote "it's the image that matters" and this is the prime directive, and the number 1 directive...and for that reason, the camera does matter....photogs don't make pictures without a camera...sorry but we all need a camera to make a picture, and since the camera is responsible for capturing that which your human eye finds attractive, then you should damned well care about that "extension" of your eye, and to minimize this is being Photo-Macho...get the best camera you can afford...YOU want YOU to be the weakest link in the image consparicy, and NOT the equipment....think about that...

To the point, why do you keep using Pentax digital products that are often inferior to the competition? What is it with this brand loyalty?

Look at the other makes, and stop being so darned "loyal"...may all the makes be damned....forget about loyalty...go with the best you can find at the price you're willing to pay....don't be brand loyal.

Image is the Prime Directive, and with digital you should find the camera that gives the lowest noise for a given price point....with DSLR's it's about noise, and everything else is just fluff...as far as lenses/accessories go, all the makes make great lenses and accessories...so go for low noise...

Don't go with your "feelings" as someone suggested....choosing a camera system is not personal, not subjective....it's very objective, and use tangible metrics when comparing....keep "feelings" out of it...you're not looking for a mate, just a tool, a camera.
Old 04-20-2007   #10
Llama

Bonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1757

I had a Honeywell Spotmatic and 2 ME Supers and they worked just fine on my budget. I always felt the Nikons were the Cads of cameras and I had a Chevrolet. Now I can afford Nikons and have no reason to switch, or envy anything!

Did you ever own the Honeywell Spotmatic?

Jim

PS If you ever been invited to someone's house for dinner and get a great meal that is out of this world, did you ask the cook what brand of pots and pans were used?

Last edited by Bonner; 04-20-2007 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: After thought
Bonner is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: