Help wanted.... D7000 after market battery - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 2003104
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Help wanted.... D7000 after market battery

Doesn't some firmware updates make the use of non-Nikon batteries impossible?
kenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2900
Editing OK?: Yes

Yes, When I purchased my new Nikon D7000, I purchased a non Nikon battery. I purchased the WASABI POWER battery, BTR-ENEL15-JWP. I have never had any problems with it, works just as good as my Nikon battery.
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Camera camera has third party batteries that are made for the D7000.
Fabcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194567436
Editing OK?: Yes

I have been using third party batteries on my D7000 for over 2 years - never had a problem.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Default "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthompson View Post
Let's see now, you havr paid several hundred or thousand dollars for a camera and the same for lenses and you want to go cheep on a battery. Doesn't sound cost effective to me. Spend the extra few dollars and purchase the battery from Nikon and be done with it.

Dwight
Do you take your car to the dealer for service? Insist on manufacturer-branded parts be used? Replace the tires with the same brand and model that the car was originally delivered with?

Most of us have a more open mind, and a tighter pocketbook.

Nikon doesn't have it's own battery plant. They contract out production, to the lowest bidder that can meet quality specifications. Does the Nikon brand silkscreened on the battery make it a better battery? Perhaps. Is the value added by silkscreening the Nikon name justified by the significantly higher price over other reputable brands? I doubt it, but if you have statistical evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to listen.

Years back, I bought a Nikon 1 V1. Uses the same battery as the D7000. I knew the EVF and VR lenses would be draining the battery very quickly, so I bought a pair of DSTE spares. They were used indiscriminately. I recently had a battery failure. Wouldn't take a charge, even though the battery life on all three batteries showed "new" in camera.

No it wasn't one of the DSTE batteries. It was the original Nikon battery that failed. Won't take a charge.

I know one failure doesn't make a trend, but it adds evidence to what I've suspected all along: a battery from a reputable manufacturer is just as good, if not better, than a rebranded battery from Nikon.

The key is doing the research to find out what brands are reputable. Wasabi and DSTE have been proven reliable by many users over the years. I am not hesitating in recommended these brands to others, and they are price-competitive with batteries from suspicious sources (the Chicom fly-by-nights that litter Amazon and eBay along side DSTE and Wasabi).

But if you insist on using Nikon branded batteries, you're just as safe as the guy who takes his car to the dealer and bends over every time he needs his ashtray cleaned. Just, please, realize that you're paying a premium for the Nikon brand name.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

Always the same answer about if you paid this much then you should not use cheaper accessories. I have had Nikon since 1972, have sold Nikons and accessories while in Law School to institutional accounts. Have continued til today with Nikon. Over the years in the digital age I have owned Fuji S2, S3, S5, Nikon D70, D70's, D200, D2x, D600, D700, D800, D750 and I have used after market non-Nikon batteries in all. The only true battery failure where the battery burst and was hard to extract came from a genuine Nikon EN-EL15 in a D600. Yep, that could have ruined my expensive camera but surprisingly, third party batteries have been long lasting, are still hanging in there and have no bulges, no seam rips and work just as well or better than the branded Nikon ones. And anticipating the question, the Nikon battery that exploded was not counterfeit.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 90036
Editing OK?: No

Batteries of the same spec are most likely made by the same factory, some going t Nikon and others going to fill other contracts for replacements. I have 6 batteries for my D7000 and D800, 3 are Nikon labeled and the other 3 are from 3 different brands but sure look and test the same as the Nikon. I tested them on discharge rate, the current limit verse load and came to the conclusion the current limiting, and internal control circuit was the same. I did not expect a difference because I never experiences battery exhaustion differences in event shooting. The D7000 seems to last forever while my D800 and D90 pull more current in standby when the camera is off. The camera has to monitor the battery even when turned off, to keep tabs on the charge level. If it drops too low the internal battery controller, a tiny 6 pin SMD microcontroller IC needs to shut off the battery terminals.
Old 5 Days Ago   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 83

I’ve used after market batteries in various Nikon’s and had no issues.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: