PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012   #1
Vicuna

wespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwespar33 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 575844
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Nikon D800 vs. D800E

Which to buy; the Nikon D800 or D800E. As a prosumer, with the high resolution seen in the D800 36.3 megapixel series, is it necessary to have a camera without the optical high pass filter removed (as the D800E) with the side effects of morie'?

Old 02-21-2012   #2
Llama

WayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 19067
Default Re: Nikon D800 vs. D800E

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespar33 View Post
Which to buy; the Nikon D800 or D800E. As a prosumer, with the high resolution seen in the D800 36.3 megapixel series, is it necessary to have a camera without the optical high pass filter removed (as the D800E) with the side effects of morie'?

Depends on what you photograph. Moire is caused by subject detail smaller than the camera can resolve. It is there, the camera cannot ignore it, but also cannot resolve it accurately, so you get some false garbage (moire patterns). The AA filter blurs the high resolution stuff to remove the problem.

But 36 megapixels can resolve more than 12 megapixels, so problem should not come up as often, even without the filter. But, move that same detail farther away, it becomes smaller, and it could occur. Perhaps this new area may be too small to be much trouble? I would assume the model WITH the AA filter uses a much more mild filter than before?

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #3
Guanaco

klam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 14074
Editing OK?: Ask first

Without the AA filter the images will be sharper, so for some photogs it's necessary or a want for them to get the maximum sharpness available.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #4
Dromedary

Greg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4080430
Editing OK?: Ask First

If you don't know which is best, you probably should go with the D800. I will get the D800E. I've seen comparisons of scenes shot by both cameras. D800 images can be sharpened to be close to D800E images, but the crispness of the starting D800E image is exciting. The new moire reduction tool in the accompanying software is supposed to be impressive. For important shots, I'll will do some stopped-down captures where diffraction mitigates moire. I can't wait.
Greg Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #5
Guanaco

klam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant futureklam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norrell View Post
If you don't know which is best, you probably should go with the D800. I will get the D800E. I've seen comparisons of scenes shot by both cameras. D800 images can be sharpened to be close to D800E images, but the crispness of the starting D800E image is exciting. The new moire reduction tool in the accompanying software is supposed to be impressive. For important shots, I'll will do some stopped-down captures where diffraction mitigates moire. I can't wait.
D800/E isn't being packaged with Capture NX for North America but will be included for European sales. Sucks for us in North America unless we are paying less $ for the camera to begin with

If you stop down too much to get rid of moire you will also loose sharpness/detail. catch 22
Old 02-22-2012   #6
Dromedary

Greg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorGreg Norrell strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

I thought we were getting the new Capture NX with the D300E. Bummer. I will put stopped down images underneath sharp images with moire and just erase any trouble spots on the top image not sacrificing overall sharpness.
Old 02-22-2012   #7
Vicuna

RoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really nice
CamelKarma: 700
Editing OK?: Yes

Well before I make a decision between the two bodies, I need to see full raw production camera shots, of the same images, with both cameras. It will be interesting to see just how much more actual detail there is in a D800e image vs a post sharpened D800 image.
RoyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
I thought we were getting the new Capture NX with the D300E. Bummer. I will put stopped down images underneath sharp images with moire and just erase any trouble spots on the top image not sacrificing overall sharpness.
I can be wrong as I read these things in the internet but the D800 does come with ViewNX. I also checked Nikons website and I don't see CaptureNX being included for purchased made in England also
Old 02-22-2012   #9
Dromedary

I called my local Nikon dealer and he said he didn't yet know. Nikon USA mentions the software but doesn't say it's being packaged with the D800E. DPReview says that it is. I hope they are right.
Old 02-22-2012   #10
Guanaco

Quote:
I called my local Nikon dealer and he said he didn't yet know. Nikon USA mentions the software but doesn't say it's being packaged with the D800E. DPReview says that it is. I hope they are right.
At the Nikon website if you view the included accessories for the D800 it only list ViewNX as the only software supplied. I also checked the forum tab on the D800 product page and someone asked if it included CaptureNX and a Nikon Rep. just re-hashed the list of accessories, no CaptureNX.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: