PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012   #1
Photocamel Master

trapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 34435
Default D700 To Be Manufactured...

...for the "foreseeable" future. As reported on Rob Galbraith's site on Friday 2/17/12, Nikon has said that they will continue to make D700's, in addition to the newly-announced D800/D800e.
This is good news for current D700 owners (used prices will be stable), and for those looking for a camera that is better at sports photography than the D800...given the FPS advantage. And far less $$ than a D3s or D4.

Old 02-20-2012   #2
Dromedary

Ron Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRon Scubadiver strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3203878
Default Re: D700 To Be Manufactured...

Great, now I don't have to donate my D700 to Goodwill
Old 02-21-2012   #3
KmH

That statement makes the D800 much more understandable, and unlike the D3/D3s and D700 having the same MP, the D4 and D700 don't.

I would predict there will eventually be a 36 MP - D4x.
Old 02-22-2012   #4
Guanaco

raghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorraghunath strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 396584
Editing OK?: Yes

For sports and street photography, how does the D700 stack up against the new D800?
raghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #5
F1 Camel

jerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 80660
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunath View Post
For sports and street photography, how does the D700 stack up against the new D800?
Street photography doesn't stress a camera any differently than any other form of photography in general. I would say that the D700 may be better based in price, high ISO performance (which is still unknown, but just using common sense and no facts) and higher FPS.

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #6
F1 Camel

Erich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorErich1B strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3136641

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryph View Post
I would say that the D700 may be better based in price, high ISO performance (which is still unknown, but just using common sense and no facts) and higher FPS.
Nikon D800 vs. Nikon D700 high ISO comparison - Nikon D800 vs. Nikon D700 high ISO comparison | Nikon Rumors

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #7
Photocamel Master

trapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond reputetrapman has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 34435

D800's native ISO of 100 makes it a superior landscape, still life and commercial camera! Sports are a different matter, as 6FPS, even with the $450 battery grip (OUCH!$$!) doesn't come close to what I require, nor do my clients! I'll stick with my D700/D3s combos! I have a D800 on pre-order, however, for certain work! As I can't afford a D3x! We'll see...but there'll be limitations to it's functionalities, I'm sure!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #8
Guanaco

km6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to beholdkm6xz is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3810

According to Thom Hogan, there will be one more production run because while rebuilding the factory, parts that had been ordered in the past were delayed until now. When that last production run works through the current stock of parts production will stop. That is a risk for Nikon by using a production line and staff for a end of life product when they can't meet demand for new key product but the parts would be a waste of money just scraped since repair needs would never consume them.
Nikon has never had a surplus of production capacity for the upper end cameras or lenses so using the valuable line for purposes other than filling pent up demand for its new model will not make customers, forced to wait longer, very happy. It might be a year before a customer can find a D800 sitting on a store shelf available for purchase. The video production types have pre-ordered it to record levels for a new higher end camera. The D800 puts Nikon back into the game by offering something that redefines the breed and as such, will sharply cut into the significant sales lead of 5d series cameras.
Old 02-26-2012   #9
F1 Camel

jerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 80660

Comparisons are pretty much useless until the D800 comes out, but Nikon France in a recent Q&A on facebook pretty much admitted that a camera with smaller photocells has superior high ISO when asked this same question (which camera will have the better high ISO, D700 or D800). Also 8 FPS for the D700 vs 4 FPS for the D700 may also be a factor.

In the end, using a Street photography style like mine, for example, it would likely make no difference at all. What would be a bigger factor is lens quality. For street photography during the day most lenses will be fine. At night, a 50mm or 85mm F/1.4 for close to medium distance is king, a 135mm or 200mm F/2 just rules for sniping from a greater distance.

The 1-2 possible stops difference is easily cleaned up in post process.

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

BovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1471821

Not to state the obvious but I believe that we have to remember that the D800 was not made for sports. It is clear the niche Nikon want to fill and the fact that sports photographers have the solution with the D4. Full stop that is it.

There is no way a D800 will work for professional sports and that is OK. The D700 is a great camera and more suitable for sports and street photography. I believe Nikon will leave the DX series to tackle this bunch.

I believe that the reason why everyone keeps coming back to this is that allot of people (me included) wanted a slightly higher MP with a bit better ISO in the D800. What we got is overkill on one end and I believe we will be disappointed on the other.

I am no professional but can afford either D800 or D4. The problem is that I use my camera for landscapes (D800 perfect for that) and to chase down my kids while they grow up (need something forgiving with hand held shake). So you see the D800 surpasses my wildest dreams on one end but falls short on the other. I hear this complaint allot.

BovrilArg
AKA Patrick

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!

www.lost-in-transit.com
BovrilArg is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: