Bad Memory Card or a Nikon Problem? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bad Memory Card or a Nikon Problem?

yeah , but what if some one has emotional bindings with a camera then i can expect that even 300 dollars could be well spend by that person , where others would allready put the money on a D3100 or so .

i to like my gear and if necessairy i let it get fixed if it is defect or ask for a qoutation to get it fixed.

Generally there is nothing wrong using 6mp dslrs even now. As much as i loved the D70 i had i am glad that i now have the D80 that replaced it , a step up the ladder since i do not like video in dslr the d90 was no option
Old 12-02-2011   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 452
Editing OK?: Yes

A friend of mine thinks that loading directly to the PC, he fried a part of his D70 circuit board.
Old 12-02-2011   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604

There have been problems with the D70s CF slot. I'd say it's a known issue. Often, it's just as simple as an internal cable slipping off the connector just enough to make an intermittent connection. Usually, though, this (or a bent pin in the CF receptacle) will result in a CHA error on the top panel.

The repair is very simple. If you have the tools, the confidence, and the mechanical aptitude, it might even be something you could try yourself. But even having it repaired by a camera technician, it wouldn't be that expensive.

Has it been 8 years? Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. Still a great camera. Still the only Nikon to sync at 1/500 second with CLS, and the sky's the limit with conventional flash units. Still shoots as good as the day you took it out of the box, too, I bet (well, once you get this annoyance fixed).

Glad to see no one's trying to talk you out of your camera, telling you it's beyond it's life cycle, and a new camera would be so much better. Well, it would, but the D70s is still as good as the day it was introduced!

I still use mine for my personal work, and as a backup to my D300 when I'm "on the clock."
Old 05-15-2014   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I know this is several years on but maybe it will help other long time users of the D70s. My D70s worked well with a 256MB CF card for many years. I then upp'ed it to a 16GB card. OK for several months then after ten or so shots at NEF+BASIC the image in the LCD became corrupted. Downloaded images are just as bad and lots cannot be opened.

Fomatting the card in the camera or with Win7 did not improve the situation. Once the card was sufficiently corrupted the camera refused to take more pictures. Found the thread here and thought 'new camera'! B*&&^r! Original card gave same issues but had been formatted to FAT32.

I've just formatted the 256MB card to FAT16 and shot off 3 x 38 NEF+BASIC images with no problems. .

A 16GB card cannot be formatted to FAT16 so I'm off to buy a 2GB one.

To format FAT16 with Win7 use the command prompt (Start button, type cmd in the select programs and files entry box) and type format x: /fs:fat /q
Replace x with the drive letter for the card you want to format. Never use c: as this could be your hard drive - major disaster! - unless you know better!
/fs:fat may have to be /fs:fat16. Depends upon your version of windows but fat works for me.
/q does a quick format to reduce the number of writes to the card during formatting as all cards only have a limited life.

Hope this helps.
NikonInMyViens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 1028299
Editing OK?: No

According to David Bush, author, you should NEVER format a card through Win X version XXXX. You should always format the card via the camera. I have followed this advice and never had a problem. Just a suggestion.
RetCombatVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I am sure that is good advice. However if a card has been formatted to FAT32 I don't think you can reformat it to FAT16 in the camera. Before I had this problem I am 99% certain the card had only been formatted in the camera.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic:

Tags
cf, memory card, promaster, upload