PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010   #1
Vicuna

salicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2460
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Vivitar 28-300 on nikon D90

Hi,

When I was still using my analog Nikon F50 I got a really (!) cheap Vivitar 28-300mm lens to use with it (was a student and didn't really have any money). Now I have a Nikon D90 and the kit lens 18-105.
I know that the Vivitar is actually a crappy lens, but I wanted to try it now with my Nikon D90 to see how the image quality is like on a digital SLR. However, I cannot even fit the lens on the D90 body?! It's not the first time I change a lens and so far I haven't had any problems with other lenses. So am I just too stupid, am I missing something, or does the Vivitar 28-300 just simply not fit on the Nikon D90?
Anybody got any ideas?

salicylsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #2
Dromedary

Jeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2564
Default Re: Vivitar 28-300 on nikon D90

If the Vivitar is an Ai or AiS spec lens, it should fit.
If it's pre- Ai, it won't, and can damage things if attempted. Here's a link to help.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #3
Vicuna

salicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to allsalicylsre is a name known to all

I actually don't know if it is Ai or AiS (will check it when I get home) but it is an autofocus lens bought in the late 90s. I thought it should be compatible with Nikon digital SLRs.
Old 09-20-2010   #4
Dromedary

Jeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2564

I don't know why I had the idea it was an older, manual focus lens.
If it's a later AF lens, it should fit, as far as I know.
Perhaps someone else with a more intimate knowledge of that combination will step in.
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #5
Vicuna

As far as I know it should fit (at least in theory), but simple doesn't... Thanks anyway for the help!
salicylsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #6
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

remove the 18-105 from the D90 an put a body cover on, now look at the vivitar lense and the 18-105 at the lens mount , that should look almost the same , i think that the vivitar lense will not have a autofocus moter , so htere even may be no to a few contacts (cpu) for the D90 to know what lense it is .

like said by others be carefull with trying , there sould be a mount point on the vivitar if not look at the front and there should be a mark (straight line) aline that with the white dot on the d90 and slowly try to mount it , if you notice something weird stop immediately

good luck

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: