PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009   #1
Dromedary

shadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 64411
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Nikon D5000 vs. Nikon D90 ?

Would anyone favor the D5000 over the D90?
I own the D80, grip, etc... so when I decide to move up, it's obvious that I'll need to get a D90 so I can maintain all of my current equipment.
Same grip... compatible with my 50mm lens... (auto focus).
The D5000 wont auto focus with the D5000, right?
And Nikon wont make a grip for it?
I guess I've answered my own question, huh?
When it's time to move up, I should get the D90?

Nikon AF 20-35mm F2.8D
Nikon AF-S 28-70 F2.8D
Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D
Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D
Nikon SB-800, Nikon TC-200 & Nikon MB-D10
Bogen-Manfrotto 3001/3265/3016/234rc
Lowepro Slingshot 300 & Stroboframe 350
“Lowepro Preferred Photographer”
www.flickr.com/photos/dbdigital/
shadowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #2
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 493015
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Nikon D5000 vs. Nikon D90 ?

The D5000 is the upgrade to the D60. So it has (as far as I know) the same lens limitations as well general camera limitations that the D60 has. But it does have better video capabilities, from what I understand. But if you want to take better pictures, spend the extra 100 and get the D90.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #3
F1 Camel

Nikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1439

I may pick up a D5000. It'd be worth the price for some basic, limited, video capabilities for my work.

Make no mistake about the models on either Canon or Nikon's lower end. They all work just fine and are very capable cameras...and remember that lower costs amount to a quicker break even point and quicker profitability. You don't always need a D3x to shoot portraits. Know your target market.
Old 07-06-2009   #4
Dromedary

shadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very niceshadowlands is just really very very nice

I'm not really interested in the "video" aspects of either.
I don't want a DSLR for video reasons. I've got a Sanyo Xacti for that.
But I remember what bugged me about my former D40x was the fact that it couldn't auto focus with lenses like the 50mm 1.8, 70-300 G, etc...
And Nikon didn't make a grip for it. So I traded it in towards my current D80.
So I think a D90 (down the road) would be a natural upgrade for me.
I think...
Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D
Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D
Old 07-06-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 493015
Editing OK?: Yes

I was going to say keep the D80 and just get glass, others would say the same. But I think there was a huge improvement in the D90 over the D80. Bigger ISO range and lower noise. As well as other improvements.

When 'down the road' seems clsoer, see if the D300s is out and if the D300 prices drop significantly because of it.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #6
Dromedary

I will most likely stick with getting a D90 when the prices come down because I already own the grip, cable release, etc... thanks to my D80.
I'm not in a hurry. I paid $550.00 (body only) new for my D80, only month ago because the world wants the D90 more. But when the D90 gets replaced, it's will drop and then I'll jump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I was going to say keep the D80 and just get glass, others would say the same. But I think there was a huge improvement in the D90 over the D80. Bigger ISO range and lower noise. As well as other improvements.

When 'down the road' seems clsoer, see if the D300s is out and if the D300 prices drop significantly because of it.
Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D
Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D
Old 07-17-2009   #7
Dromedary

I lied! I sold my D80 in favor of the D5000. I know, I know.
Why? I held it and really loved a few key features. I love the one-touch live view, the 4 frames per second, and the tilt,rotating screen.
Also, I want to travel lighter, so I wanted smaller.
Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D
Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D
Old 07-18-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509

i hope ypu like it

I'll probably get a d80 used ..

please tell me all the pro's and cons of the D80 and tips and tricks ..

no i am not selling the D50, D70 , F65 or eos 300D
Old 07-18-2009   #9
Dromedary

I loved my D80. It was larger and stronger/build than my new D5000.
I have no complaints. I simply wanted a few more bells and whistles on a smaller/lighter body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
i hope ypu like it

I'll probably get a d80 used ..

please tell me all the pro's and cons of the D80 and tips and tricks ..

no i am not selling the D50, D70 , F65 or eos 300D
Nikon AF 80-200 F2.8D
Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D
Old 07-20-2009   #10
F1 Camel

Nikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1439

LOL... well post some images and let us know what you like or don't like. We'd love to hear from a user's perspective. The quirks and good things..

Julio

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum »

Share this topic: