PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009   #1
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 411281
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Best image size to print 8x10

I was just curious what everyone sets their image size to to print 8x10's? It seems the image sizes in camera as best set for 11x16 prints (4288x2848 ). So when printed, I either have to set a weird crop that ruins the picture (at least in my opinion) or zoom out and get a widescreen effect with a white bar on the top and bottom.

Since I do scenics mostly, with some sports, I really cant crop the images and get the full scene I wanted.

So how do you all handle this? Even the camera's smaller image sizes are still ratio'd at 11x16. Even if I wanted to make supersized prints(without going into lifesized images 20x30 and 24x36), the ratio is still off as they all seem based on a 8x10*X scale where the smaller side should be around 3430.

Old 02-06-2009   #2
Llama

Bonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to allBonner is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1757
Default Re: Best image size to print 8x10

35mm film camera printers have the same problem…24x36 film will not print a full frame 8x10 print. I could make a nice 9x12 print in the darkroom…so, it is what it is.

My D300 captures at approximately 9x13 inches at 300ppi so I can print an 8x10 at 300 ppi. If I go to print a 16x20 I have to print at maybe 240 or build up the image in Photoshop, but again, you need to crop.

One of the reasons I shot my last 15 years of film with a 6x4.5 medium format camera was due to the fact that it prints out a 11x14 print size almost full frame. I now have A3 Ilford paper (pearl) that is 13x19 inches and is almost full frame for the D300.
Old 02-06-2009   #3
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241609
Editing OK?: Ask first

If you leave enough room to crop to 8x10, that is ideal. I aim for 300 dpi, so an 8x10 at 300 dpi would be 2400 x 3000. Larger prints, such as 16 x 20, 20 x 30, etc are supposed to be viewed from further away, so the dpi can be lower on them.

If there is no room to crop, then there's the 8 x 12 option, which requires no cropping, or you can do the white border as you already mentioned, which would keep you in a standard size frame. you could also print at 8.5 x 11 and use a document frame. If printing yourself, then you don't waste any paper by having to trim the photo and you maximize the size of the photo.
Old 02-06-2009   #4
Dromedary

Joves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 17673

I like bordering mine as it is for matting.
Joves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

ohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10255
Editing OK?: No

I ignore standard frame sizes and print for what works best for the shot. Custom matting and frames are not difficult to find or build.
Old 02-06-2009   #6
Dromedary

Joves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant futureJoves has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 17673

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I ignore standard frame sizes and print for what works best for the shot. Custom matting and frames are not difficult to find or build.
I agree.
Joves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #7
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I
Even the camera's smaller image sizes are still ratio'd at 11x16. Even if I wanted to make supersized prints(without going into lifesized images 20x30 and 24x36), the ratio is still off as they all seem based on a 8x10*X scale where the smaller side should be around 3430.
What you are butting your head up against is called the aspect ratio. Most DSLRs have a native aspect ratio of 1:1.5, because that's the aspect ratio of the image sensor.

An 8x10 has an aspect ratio of 1:1.25. A 5x7 is 1:1.4.

When you make your images you want to do your composition in the viewfinder so that you would only have to crop the sides of an image in landscape orientation, or the top and bottom of an image in portrait.

It's one of those things that you want on your mind for every image you make.

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #8
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Custom frames are usually more expensive than standard frames, but if it is not an issue, then this is certainly the best way to go.
Old 02-07-2009   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

ohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10255
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
Custom frames are usually more expensive than standard frames, but if it is not an issue, then this is certainly the best way to go.
Actually, they're not .... they're just not available at the WalMart's of the world as readily.

4x6 aspect ratio frames are becoming more and more available. I find 8x12 and 13x19 frames readily available, as well as larger.

I suspect that as demand increases, the 2x3 format will become the standard.
Old 02-07-2009   #10
Camel Breath

That's good to know.

Have you found any 8x12 paper? I'm not sure whether my printer would be able to print on it or not anyway.

swampler is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum »

Share this topic: