PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013   #1
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 405240
Editing OK?: Yes
Default D600 or D800?

I heard the 'here we go agian's' from here. Nope, I am not asking the question. Ive already pondered it for a couple months now. I actually DO need to get one for school for the video portion of my degree, so I did even more studying. And today, I did additional searches to find someone else had the same thought process as me. Scott Kelby

The Nikon D800 vs the D600: Which One is the Right One For You? | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

For anyone else on the fence, I suggest you read this. I find it accurate. Look at the 2 side by side on nikonusa and see if the differences warrant 1000 out of your pocket. Id rather use that money for a 70-300 and a bit of fun. But thats me.

Old 01-12-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

mistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 97574877
Default Re: D600 or D800?

Yep, pretty much agree with Scott's analysis and conclusion with one qualification.
For some reason, in the D600, Nikon decided to depart from it tradition in every high end DSLR since the D100 of allowing 9 exposures in a bracketed set. The D600 is restricted to a max of 3 exposures only. That is a real problem if you do a lot of HDR work. Granted Nikon increased the ev step max from 1ev, to 2 or 3ev, but for high and very high contrast scenes 3 exposures won't cut it. There is no reason why Nikon had to depart from tradition other than some product marketer trying to force a product / customer tier.
Thanks for sharing the link.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #3
Vicuna

JimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to allJimKid is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1745

I'm a D600 owner. Before owning the D600, (I had a 300s), I was one of those that did a lot of bracketed exposures. I also was disappointed that I could not do as many exposures in a bracket. But after owning the D600 for this short while, I've come to the conclusion that, with the D600's substantially increased dynamic range, I do not need to have as many exposures in a bracket. I am having to revisit my bracketing strategy, and even with very high contrast scenes, I think 3 will be enough. I just need to figure out the new strategy. More than likely, it will be all in one direction, depending on the scene.

And the D600 will allow you to go up to 3EV a bracket (I've experimented with the 2EV jump), so you can still get some pretty wide ranges. And it is simply amazing to me how much you can pull out of underexposed and overexposed images in post.

Long story short, 3 exposure brackets may be all you need.

Just my two cents worth.

Jim
JimKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #4
Camel Breath

mistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormistermonday strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 97574877

Jim, thanks for your input. I have found most of the time that -2/0/+2 sufficiently covers the range, which requires only 3 exposures on the D600 where it takes 5 exposures on all of the other Nikon DSLRs. The tricky part is that the 0ev exposure (because of how the camera is metering) is not always in the center of the scene, therefore requiring you to apply an exposure bias for example to to end up with exposures of -4/-2/+1 ev. Sometimes when I am pressed for time it is faster to just shoot 9 exposures -4 thru +4 and discard the unneeded images later. The 3 exposure limit on D600 may not be a big inconvenience but I do ask myself why Nikon would go to all the trouble to change its firmware to allow 2 and 3 ev steps but then back down the total number of exposures to 3 only. My only other comment is that a 3 ev step may likely not very useful. The step is so large that some HDR s/w algorithms will produce unfavorable results in the merging of source images due to non linear data gaps.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #5
Llama

WayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 18314

It is not just bracketing and resolution, the D600 strips many D800 features. Other than being FX and having the Commander, its feature set seems entry level, minimal.

I think 36 megapixels may be a downside, but the D800 feature set is very strong.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
WayneF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #6
Guanaco

Doublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDoublehelix3216 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 854217
Editing OK?: Ask first

I like Scott Kelby, and agree with most of his comments most of the time.

I own the D800, and love it, and love all of the features and extra controls that it provides. I have no doubt that the D600 is an awesome camera as well, but I am glad that I spent the extra $1,000 on the D800. You mention the bracketing, but also "small" things like I like to press the center button after taking a shot to zoom to 100% at the focal point to check focus, etc. (Little things that add up.)

The downside is the same as the upside as Scott so aptly puts it... the file sizes are so big, that they really bog down the computer when you are trying to do anything large and complex, such as a Photoshop edit with lots of layers, or a large HDR set or large panos (I don't do panos, but have heard). This is also the upside however! When I downsize a low light, high-ISO image, I can usually get away with little NR and still get a great looking image. In addition, with the large image size, I can get away with less reach on my lenses, and then just crop to zoom. (!)

I agree that $1,000 is a lot of money, and honestly, if the D600 had been available when I got the D800, it would have been a more difficult choice, but when it is all said and done, I love my D800, and I am sure that if I had a D600, I would love it as well.
Old 01-14-2013   #7
✌(◕‿-)✌

_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6873702

If you take 3AEB shots with the D600 EV Range Ev3
as Jim pointed out it's enough range.

One of the main things HDR apps do in the background is convert
the raw files into a tiff file. So one can easily take the underexposed -ev3
and make two additional tiff's out of it with ev2 spacing this will give one a
range of -3-2-0+2+3 HDR Pro PhotoG Klaus Hermann does this all the time.
you can find his work and tutorials @ farbspiel photography - View. Learn. Connect.

I also want to add that even for me I can easily take a bracketed set of captures
in the camera ranging from 5+/- Ev range manually I have demonstrated this numerous
just keep 1 finger on the exposure compensation button one on the shutter and thumb wheel
to change your ev value for the next capture. Sounds difficult but really is not.

Old video of me doing it on the D5000

of course I can do this much faster now.
There's also options available such as the promote control.
Or even tethering with a small eeepc using NKremote.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #8
Dromedary

nolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 17045
Editing OK?: No

I was in CostCo on Saturday and they had a D600 out for display. It even had a charged battery. There are no camera stores around any longer so I never really see the new stuff. But I thought it was very nice and it was fun to check it out.
nolanr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #9
Vicuna

aNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraNikkorGuy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 183992
Editing OK?: Ask first

get the D800 becasue I said so.

Happy Photography! -Americo.rodriguez
aNikkorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #10
Llama

ClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorClintS strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 797223

In my case it was the D800, D700, or the D600. The D800 is a closer upgrade to the D700 than the D600 is. But I do not think Nikon was thinking this way. They reshaped the market!

I bought the D800 and am thrilled with the camera, large prints are just amazing. I bought the D800 as I thought I could use it for multiple purposes being able to put it in one of the crop modes and reducing the file size. But I have not been able to use the crop modes, a few shots into shooting and I'm back at full frame because I want all the D80 has to offer!
For taking pano's, well you simply do not need as many photos to get a pano of the same length. And even though I have produced dozens of large prints, for much of the photography I do a D800 is overkill. Did I buy the wrong camera -no way! It is without a doubt the best camera I've ever had. Butů.

The large file sizes do take a toll on the hard disk and processing time, especially when shooting events with hundreds of images. On the other hand I spend less time tweaking an image as the D800 images just don't require it.

So I have a D700 on the way. That will fill the billet for those shoots of hundreds of photos and where no large prints are likely to be made. I tried the D600 and it is a very nice camera with outstanding images, but the 24MP is still overkill for much of my photography. The D700 has always felt like a great fit for my hands. When I get it I know I must not bring the D800 along with the D700.

I thought I had gotten past the point of having different cameras for different needs. But the more things change, the more they stay the same!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum »

Share this topic: