PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012   #1
Vicuna

afterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 69874
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Loose fitting lense... Is this normal???

I recently bought a 70-200mm vr II and noticed a slight amount of play between the lense and my D300. Is this kind of thing normal

I never noticed this with my Sigma 70-200mm hsm II as the fit is solid with no play. Similarly, no play when I use the Nikon 70-200mm vr II with my D200.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing

Cheers,
Mark

and a few other toys
afterimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #2
Vicuna

RoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really niceRoyC is just really nice
CamelKarma: 700
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Loose fitting lense... Is this normal???

Normal, tight fit means the o-ring on the lens is a little thicker than normal.
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

cyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1089007
Editing OK?: No

Yes this is normal.

If you have Nikon service replace the mounts on both the camera body and the lens they will fit tightly, but only for a short amount of time before developing some free play again after you change lenses a few times.

As long as there is no visible effect in the function of your camera and lens (sudden loss of communication between lens and camera, strange exposures, etc.), you're good to go.
Old 01-24-2012   #4
Vicuna

afterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 69874

Thanks, Roy n Cyclo.

I had a feeling it was perfectly fine as everything functions okay, just seemed a little strange my D200 has no play when using the same lense

I fully understand that it is a heavy lense so a lot of weight on the camera mounts but was a little uneasy once i noticed it.

Mark

and a few other toys
afterimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012   #5
Vicuna

thepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to allthepond is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2648

Mark, just to reinforce the point. I had the exact same concern last year after purchasing the 70-200 vr ii and putting it on the d300s. Yes it is normal. Enjoy the lens.
Old 05-13-2012   #6
Alpaca

spicytom is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

I noticed the exact same thing yesterday, 3 week old 70-200 vr11, fitted onto d300, works fine, then couple of days ago, no autofocus indicator in viewfinder or autofocusing at all. Turned camera off and on couple of times, fiddled with settings and worked again. Happened again yesterday, so thought maybe something was not communicating properly, checked lens and noticed slight rotation, maybe a mm or so. Could this just be a worn mount on d300? Have just purchased a D800 but not unwrapped it yet to try lens on that?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon Forum »

Share this topic: