PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010   #1
Camel Breath

LordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 25164071
Default Macro Critique thread

The Macro Critique Thread
The idea of this thread is to enable people to obtain a bit more critique than they would possibly get in the normal macro forum.

The idea is for someone who wants critique to post a single photo along with the EXIF information and an explanation of what they were trying to achieve with the shot. I'm guessing here we should keep it to one photo unless someone wants to compare two different shots of the same subject.

Replies to the shot should be in the form, what is good about the shot, what is bad about the shot and what you suggest they can do to improve it. Obviously make it clear which shot you are talking about possibly by copying the link to the post in question.

brian v.

Old 09-09-2010   #2
Camel Breath

LordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
Default Re: Macro Critique thread

Example post.

Shot of spiderlings of Araneus Diadematus. I was just trying to capture some of the spiderlings along with some of the dewdrops that were in the web. Should add Ihave only just started to try macro shooting with my new Sigma 105 lens.
EXIF Canon 300D/sigma 105/sigma flash. Camera in manual, Fll, 1/200th ISO100 flash in ETTL.

Brian V.

LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #3
Camel Breath

Example critique

Re http://photocamel.com/forum/macro-cl...ml#post1086852

Interesting shot Brian and not a bad attempt. The shot does seem overexposed in many areas plus perhaps oversharpened as well. I'd suggest you look at improving the flash diffusion along with varying the Flash Exposure compensation (FEC). Perhaps a little less USM sharpening on the shot.

Brian V.
Old 09-09-2010   #4
Dromedary

Jeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to allJeff D is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2564
Editing OK?: Yes

Sounds like a good idea, Brian.
I'm definitely going to have to improve my technique.
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

dryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 120364

I enjoy the black and orange color theme. I agree with your own critique and would add that the image is too diffuse in that there is nowhere the eye is led. It's just a menage of orange and black. It's not even clear that there are Webs. I'd say either the spiders need to be packed more densely to create just a pattern or less densely to find a place for the eye to rest.
dryadsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #6
Vicuna

0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all0ldsch00ld0g is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1701

That is really cool. Nice shot
0ldsch00ld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #7
Alpaca

justanotherjoe will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 68

Looking for some critique on my pic. This is my first time posting a picture...

Pic is fairly large so I just added a link.

http://williamsglassproducts.files.w...2/imgp0055.jpg
justanotherjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #8
Camel Breath

Lovely lighting and colour but the stand it is on bothers me with a strong line going through the subject. Think I would try this from a lower shooting angle and in portrait mode to give the glass more room on the right hand side.
Brian V.
Old 02-08-2011   #9
Alpaca

justanotherjoe will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 68

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
Lovely lighting and colour but the stand it is on bothers me with a strong line going through the subject. Think I would try this from a lower shooting angle and in portrait mode to give the glass more room on the right hand side.
Brian V.
justanotherjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #10
Alpaca

Hendrikjbp is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Hi guys. I took the photo with a Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens. Exposure time1/2000 sec, iso 200 vocal length 40mm.

Was trying to get a silhouette of the flower. but I think it came out ok.

Hendrikjbp is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: