PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011   #21
Alpaca

oldcanon is just really niceoldcanon is just really niceoldcanon is just really niceoldcanon is just really niceoldcanon is just really niceoldcanon is just really nice
CamelKarma: 619
Default Re: Macro Critique thread

Thanks Brian, I tend to agree about the petal (my problem is that I haven't got these critters trained to voice command yet! )
oldcanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #22
Alpaca

raclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of lightraclro is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1123
Editing OK?: No

Here is one for critique. Canon 180, extension tubes (I dont' remember which or how many), handheld, no flash. I was trying get only the sun reflection as the focal spot, not quite there I know, any suggestions welcome. I do usually use my dual macro flash but not here.
Thanks, I see a lot to learn on these forums.
Ray
raclro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #23
Camel Breath

LordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 24650513

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclro View Post
Here is one for critique. Canon 180, extension tubes (I dont' remember which or how many), handheld, no flash. I was trying get only the sun reflection as the focal spot, not quite there I know, any suggestions welcome. I do usually use my dual macro flash but not here.
Thanks, I see a lot to learn on these forums.
Ray
No Photo showing ?
LordV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #24
Vicuna

Sean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 23867
Editing OK?: Yes

A few of my favorites...still learning

Sean_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #25
Camel Breath

LordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorLordV strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 24650513

Good series of shots.
Like #1 the best - nice subject and good use of the DOF
#2 has good focus but think the subject is a bit central in the frame- suspect I would have moved the rings a bit to the right and upwards so that the main diamond has more space in front of it.
#3 Really not sure what the focus point is here - only some of the lashes seem to be in focus. I would have tried to use perhaps more DOF form a smaller aperture (higher F-number) and try to decide what I really wanted in focus (probably the iris)
#4 Not much if anything seems to be in clean focus - not sure if there is some motion blurring going on
#5 & #6 - Quite like these- interesting showing the differential focus between the two shots- only nitpic is the rather bright highlights in both pictures which tend to distract the eye.

Just my personal thoughts on the pictures
Brian v.
LordV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #26
Vicuna

Sean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant futureSean_Anderson has a brilliant future

Thanks Brian. The eye pictures were the first ones I tried, one is of my 2 yr old daughter and the other is my eye (both tough tasks to handle, lol). I still have to work on getting them right. The rings and lens shots were all taken at night with flash then enhanced in CS5, that's the reason there are those bright highlights. I actually took 2 shots of the rings (the other as pretty much straight on) but I didn't like it as much...definitely have some more work to do but I'm loving this lens. Again, thanks for the critique
Old 04-26-2012   #27
Guanaco

rainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrikjbp View Post
Hi guys. I took the photo with a Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens. Exposure time1/2000 sec, iso 200 vocal length 40mm.

Was trying to get a silhouette of the flower. but I think it came out ok.
It came out very nicely. It is a close up shot but not a Macro. There is a difference
rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #28
Guanaco

rainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of lightrainer is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1403

Hi Sean! You are on the right track for the first go and it certainly takes practice. Macro Photography is a demanding Job. Upsolute still Camera is required with many shots that require slower shutter speed because of the little light entering when using aparture of lets say f18 on a good qualit Macro Lens. Generaly speaking the closer you get the more DOP is needed but I hardly ever use more than f20 and the most is f22. Every so often I would stack different D O F depending on the Subject. If you use a Flash Ring or there is plenty of Sunlight certainly helps capturing your Subject if some what faster speeds but even then I am keen to keep my Camera as steady as. I don't know what Lens you have used here. It looks a little out of focus and the quality is missing. Not taking away from this, practice is a virtue. I had plenty of practice over many years and I am still practicing adding to my experinece. Passion is a big part. Keep at it and with time you will see your improvements as your rewards.
rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #29
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer View Post
Hi Sean! You are on the right track for the first go and it certainly takes practice. Macro Photography is a demanding Job. Upsolute still Camera is required with many shots that require slower shutter speed because of the little light entering when using aparture of lets say f18 on a good qualit Macro Lens. Generaly speaking the closer you get the more DOP is needed but I hardly ever use more than f20 and the most is f22. Every so often I would stack different D O F depending on the Subject. If you use a Flash Ring or there is plenty of Sunlight certainly helps capturing your Subject if some what faster speeds but even then I am keen to keep my Camera as steady as. I don't know what Lens you have used here. It looks a little out of focus and the quality is missing. Not taking away from this, practice is a virtue. I had plenty of practice over many years and I am still practicing adding to my experinece. Passion is a big part. Keep at it and with time you will see your improvements as your rewards.
Thanks! I currently use the 40mm 1.8 AF-S Nikkor Micro...I have yet to use a tripod or any other setup when shooting my macro shots, which is almost certainly why some are out of focus
Old 05-04-2012   #30
Vicuna

cherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to beholdcherokeegirl is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3271

Nikon D5000
Lens: Tamron 18mm-250mm Macro Lens
focal Length: 250mm
f 18
ISO 400
Shutter speed 1/320 sec

I would like to know if this a good Macro Shot, I'm just learning how to do Macro Photography and I was aiming for detail in the center of the flower. What do youthink is the best Macro Lens to use?

cherokeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Macro & Close-up »

Share this topic: