PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007   #1
Alpaca

weighter is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Jill Greenberg Lighting

Just curious if anyone was interested in dissecting / discussing the lighting setup that Jill Greenberg uses to create her very distinct and beautiful style? There are a lot of experts on this site and I would love to hear any thoughts / advice

you can view a sample here http://members.aol.com/strangecastro...lGreenberg.jpg

Her official website is here
Jill Greenberg :: The Manipulator

Old 10-21-2007   #2
Photocamel Master

Brooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2568144
Default Re: Jill Greenberg Lighting

She's also famous for her series of crying children. There has been much talk about the ethics of making the children cry but very little talk about her technique.... Seems easy enough to me.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa.jpg (31.8 KB, 757 views)

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #3
Alpaca

heh yeah I didn't want to get into the crying children discussion for reasons of controversey and ranting

Her retouching (or her retoucher) is probably more impressive than the lighting, but id love to see some diagrams or info on her setup. Anything from basic reproductions to what I think is a very elaborate type of setup that she uses. It looks like there are 3 catch lights in the models eyes, and theres obvious harsh lighting to either side... 6 or 7 light sources maybe?

... and of course... needs more cowbell
weighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

Brooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighter View Post
... and of course... needs more cowbell
Goes without saying.....

On the Jon Stewart photo it looks like a main light on camera right near the lens axis, a fill light under the lens, strong hair light from the rear above, and two strong seperation lights from behind, left and right and finally a light for the background glow. That's six lights, by my count.

The image is too small to clearly see the reflections of the lights in Stewarts eyes. I'm guessing they're smaller softboxes but they could also be octoboxes.

Old 10-21-2007   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Editing OK?: Yes

Hi Brooks,

...hate to spoil a good joke , but is that image copyrighted ??

...if so, please change the attachment to a link ??

Thanks in advance, kindest regards,

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
Hi Brooks,

...hate to spoil a good joke , but is that image copyrighted ??

...if so, please change the attachment to a link ??

Thanks in advance, kindest regards,

Max@Home
Nope, no intent to copyright notice published along with that photo on any of several websites where it can be found.

Old 10-22-2007   #7
Alpaca

Well after some further searching, I found a video that showed Greenbergs setup. I simply do not have enough lights to reproduce it, just a poor mans copy with two strobes and a speedlight... but if anyone is interested and would like to give it a shot heres the layout... (now I want to buy a ringflash )

Old 10-22-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

Do you have a link to that video?

Brooks

Old 10-22-2007   #9
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Do you have a link to that video?

Brooks
You can see it very easily in this video:
YouTube - Gwen Stefani "Webisode #3"

And also in this one
YouTube - Jill Greenberg - CoolHunting Ep. 63
Old 11-24-2008   #10
Alpaca

J kacey is a jewel in the roughJ kacey is a jewel in the roughJ kacey is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 247
Editing OK?: Yes

Messing around with her lighting style....... 8 lights
I did not make my son cry for the pic..... Set up lights and waited for one of his moments

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: