I need some convertible Umbrella tips for portraits
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 176
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I need some convertible Umbrella tips for portraits

Convertible Umbrella tips for portraits

I'm looking for some tips on how to use this type of umbrella for one light setup
and add more lights after learning to do one light first.

I do know to move the umbrella off axis of the camera, my problem is i'm not sure how
high above should the umbrella be, or where should the shaft be pointing at my subject
for reflective? Or when using shoot through, again how high and where to point the umbrella?

What I have:
Camera Nikon D70
Sekonic L-358 Light Meter
SB-600 speedlight
2 ac slaves screw in type from adorama https://www.adorama.com/ltacs.html?discontinued=t
40" convertible umbrella
Light stand, hot shoe connector and ac connector with umbrella holder
Some reflectors

Really just need a starting point with how high and how to point the umbrella, the rest I should be able to figure out

Thank you, in advance,
Mike

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36102
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: I need some convertible Umbrella tips for portraits

I suppose you could start off with putting the light stand 45 degrees to the to right or left of your subject. Put the light above their head by a few feet, and angle the light down about 45 degrees. You could start there.

You can then make it as simple or complex as you want. It all depends on what you want to put into it, and the results you're looking for.

If you can, shoot tethered. It makes things soooooooo much easier. You can see where your focus point is. You can see what your lighting looks like. It's so much easier to see each image as you shoot, and tweak as you go. You'll never see anything on that tiny screen on the back of the camera. No matter how much you zoom in, the end result is, it's not worth a damn.

Put your camera in manual. Put the speed light in manual. Set the shutter to something less than 1/200, and maybe f/8 or something like that, set the speed light to 1/4 power and take the image. Too dark, increase the power on the speed light. Too bright, decrease the power. Forget the iittl and ettl stuff. Although it works(sometimes) it will confuse you. Keep it simple.

When you shoot tethered and look at each image as it comes in, you immediately see what you're getting. You then notice what's wrong, and you can then try to fix it. You tweak, take the image and see what you get. You immediately see what effect what you've tweaked has on the image. You'll progress much faster that way.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 176
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: I need some convertible Umbrella tips for portraits

If you can, shoot tethered - Can't with d70

Had an idea, cheap clamp light for modeling light, worked pretty good!

I pretty much knew what you were telling me, just had some issues
with height and angle of the umbrella.

Getting people to pose is the hardest part, so practice is the best way to learn.

Thanks again,
MIke

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: