Flash units - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Flash units

E: The one issue I am aware of is the 1DX, as I understand it is the 600 will not communicate with the 580's, so you can not use them together.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959

found this for you:
Compatibility With 580EX II and Earlier Speedlites — Canon has done a good job of maintaining backwards compatibility with the existing line of Speedlites. The new 600EX-RT system works in radio mode or optical mode — but not both at the same time. This means that you can use the 600EX-RT with earlier generations of EX Speedlites by using optical transmission for wireless mode. Yes, it’s fair to say that, in optical mode, the 600EX-RT a better looking 580EX II.

First Impressions: Testing Canon’s New Speedlite 600EX-RT & Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT | PixSylated | Syl Arena's Blog on Light & Imagemaking

But honestly, you may want to go manual with your 580ex for a while... learning the ins and out of a flash is time consuming, and you use the delete button quite a bit, but is so worth it in the end.
ksgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #13
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
E: The one issue I am aware of is the 1DX, as I understand it is the 600 will not communicate with the 580's, so you can not use them together.
But that's a flash unit to flash unit issue regardless of the camera model used. Your 1D may have the radio trigger built into it that the 580 doesn't have but the 600 does though. Your 580 mounted on the hot shoe or used with a extension cord or the Canon transmitter (don't recall the model of that but I do have one) should work fine. If you want to get your flash off camera a couple of feet the 3 foot extension cord is much cheaper than the transmitter or new flash.

BTW: the transmitter I have uses the IR light signal like the 580 to 580 flash uses. It's basically a flash unit with out the light.
Old 07-31-2012   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

Let's cut to the final answer.

You shouldn't buy a 600EX-RT if you plan on keeping your 580EX II.

Why?

Simple. The 600EX RF has a built-in RF trigger system that can only be used with other 600EX-RT flash units. The 600EX-RT is not really meant to be used with Canon's other hot-shoe flash units. They built optical wireless capability in to the 600EX-RTfor marketing reasons in order to sell the units to photographers that don't realize that using the 600EX II with other Canon hot-shoe flash units prevents you taking advantage of the RF capabilities.

Frankly I would rather have a 580EX II plus a set of RF triggers so I could have RF triggering of any other hot-shoe flash.

The 580EX II is more than enough flash for your use as an on-camera flash.

You can buy a cheaper 430EX II if you need to use an off-camera flash in conjunction with an on-camera flash. Put the 580EX II on the camera, use it in master mode, and the 430EX II in slave mode. That setup will work just fine in almost all situations. To learn more about how to make this work get Syl Arena's book.

Want to save some money for an off-camera flash? Buy a Yongnuo YN-565 EX. It isn't a professional quality flash, just a low cost clone of the 430EX II that more than sufficient for an amateur photographer.

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review (Equiv 430EX II)

Want to save even more money? Buy some Neewer 560 TT520 hot-shoe flash units. They are manual power control only so you will be forced to quickly learn how to adjust your lighting to get the desired results. You will use your 580EX II at very low power in manual mode so that you can trigger the Neewer flashes using their built in optical slaves but that capability is built into the 580EX II.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: