PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012   #1
Vicuna

Copyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 21494
Default Triggering options for a Speedotron setup (tomorrow!!!)

Hi peoples,

My friend and I are doing a shoot tomorrow and we have a slight problem.

I have a D7000, and she has a Canon (neither of which has a PC sync port).

The Speedotron pack (D1204 LV) has a sync port. Neither of us have any radio/optical triggers available.

I've called around to various camera stores, and nobody seems to stock triggers or PC/hotshoe adapters.

I'm going to try Hunt's Photo in the morning (I imagine they'll have something), but if not, is there any other possible triggering option?

I also have a few SB-700's and a bunch of manual speedlights, so we aren't stuck if we can't find anything.

She also has a Canon 20D backup body which does have a PC port, but I have better Nikon glass.

I had one thought, but I doubt it will work. Since the manual flash has a PC port and a built in trigger, would it be possible to connect the flash PC port to the Speedotron PC port, and just use the flash as an optical slave. I could use the pop-up flash at 1/128 to trigger it. I assume the PC port is a one way street, so this probably wouldn't work, would it?

Worst case is all speedlights and the Nikon, or a 20D and the Speedotron strobes.

And this is not a paid shoot. Just an educational experience for the both of us.

Old 03-10-2012   #2
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 226979
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Triggering options for a Speedotron setup (tomorrow!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
I had one thought, but I doubt it will work. Since the manual flash has a PC port and a built in trigger, would it be possible to connect the flash PC port to the Speedotron PC port, and just use the flash as an optical slave. I could use the pop-up flash at 1/128 to trigger it. I assume the PC port is a one way street, so this probably wouldn't work, would it?
Do NOT do this!

The PC ports are both powered. If you hook two PC ports together they might have different voltages and/or polarities. The result could easily be a lot of smoke and a bit of fire. Neither is very good for a flash unit.

Buy a Wein Peanut Slave and a 3.5mm to 1/4" (6.25mm) adapter. This will give your Speedotron an optical slave trigger.

Wein PN Peanut Slave (100' Range) 940-001 B&H Photo Video.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #3
Vicuna

Copyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant futureCopyright has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 21494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
Do NOT do this!

The PC ports are both powered. If you hook two PC ports together they might have different voltages and/or polarities. The result could easily be a lot of smoke and a bit of fire. Neither is very good for a flash unit.

Buy a Wein Peanut Slave and a 3.5mm to 1/4" (6.25mm) adapter. This will give your Speedotron an optical slave trigger.

Wein PN Peanut Slave (100' Range) 940-001 B&H Photo Video.
I figured as much.

I ended up running to Hunt's photo and grabbing a Wein safe-sync hotshoe adapter.

A little over $50, and we were up and running.
Copyright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #4
Vicuna

Mister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 8075
Editing OK?: Ask first

A bit late, yes, but I have a little trick that you can use. I recently acquired a cheap set of Speedotron brownlines (just until I can scrounge up enough cash to buy some monolights) , and I didn't have anything to sync with, so I kind of "improvised" it. i did this by setting my shutter speed to 0"5 and then had then my aperture at about 18-20, depending on my power settings, etc. I would fire the shutter then have my friend pop the flash. Once we got our timings down together, I was getting some excellent results, albeit some had very minor ghosting from when the subject moved right before the flash.
I was able to solve this problem when I had the power pack right next to me, where i could fire it myslf by tapping it with my foot, and I was able to "sync" at 1/5.

Again, you probably don't need this little trick, but I personally think that Its a much better solution than trying to use an older flash to fire the strobes.
Old 03-11-2012   #5
Photocamel Master

Bobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 19052595
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sith View Post
A bit late, yes, but I have a little trick that you can use. I recently acquired a cheap set of Speedotron brownlines (just until I can scrounge up enough cash to buy some monolights) , and I didn't have anything to sync with, so I kind of "improvised" it. i did this by setting my shutter speed to 0"5 and then had then my aperture at about 18-20, depending on my power settings, etc. I would fire the shutter then have my friend pop the flash. Once we got our timings down together, I was getting some excellent results, albeit some had very minor ghosting from when the subject moved right before the flash.
I was able to solve this problem when I had the power pack right next to me, where i could fire it myslf by tapping it with my foot, and I was able to "sync" at 1/5.

Again, you probably don't need this little trick, but I personally think that Its a much better solution than trying to use an older flash to fire the strobes.
Really?? That is the most rediculaus advise I have ever seen offered on any photo forum in all the years I have been around

Spend 40 dollars and buy a safe sync and trigger wqith a cord or $20 and get a peanut slave and trigger with a speed light either option is volatage safe and will allow you to control shutter speed and apeture.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #6
Vicuna

Mister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud ofMister Sith has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 8075
Editing OK?: Ask first

Oh, I know it's ridiculous, but that's what happens when your paypal's empty and you really want to test out your strobes! It was merely an option, although a quite stupid and random one.

Canon T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 430 EX II | Bronica SQ-A | Bronica SQ 80mm f/2.8
Mister Sith is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Lighting Technique »

Share this topic: