PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Lighting and Technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Cowboy Studio Softbox.

I've seen a few of these online. Most of the reviews are pretty good. Does anyone have any person expierence with using this 16 inch softbox?

CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #2
F1 Camel

jerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 80660
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Cowboy Studio Softbox.

Hey 12, I would do a little more looking. eBay had the 24" LastoLite clone with double diffusion sogtboxes in the same style for about the same price (around $50).

BTW, Cowboystudio is well known for being pretty much bottom of the line stuff in terms of quality or customer service, I wouldn't waste too much time on that site.

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #3
Vicuna

triniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of lighttriniman is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1235
Editing OK?: Yes

I bought one of their lighting kits last Christmas. One light quit on me a few months later, and I am certainly not what you would call a power user. One thing I've learned about this hobby of mine is that it is expensive and it gets even more expensive when we try to reduce costs by getting cheap stuff. Many pro photographers would say, if price is the issue, save and wait until you get what you want. It beats having to buy the same thing twice.
triniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold12step is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. I would like to get ame a soft box, so if any of you know of any good ones that fit different sizes of flashes, please let me know.

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #5
F1 Camel

kgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 104888

Check out Alien Bee's on Ebay and you will find dealers of soft boxes. I got 9x30 striplights with grids for $45 each. I love the light these produce for main, fill, hair and kicker lights. Very versatile and well made.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #6
Vicuna

Aaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorAaron32 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 164564

Lumiquest is good stuff too.
Aaron32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #7
Llama

nasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armornasoj21 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 197661
Editing OK?: Yes

I have that same thing from lastolite and really like it
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #8
F1 Camel

kgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkgphoto strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 104888

Clarification: when I said check out Alien Bee's on Ebay, I didn't mean Paul Buff soft boxes, but under that heading there are other aftermarket producers of softboxes, and beauty dishes, etc. I have only tried the ones I described and I am very happy with them.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #9
F1 Camel

jerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nicejerryph is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 80660
Editing OK?: No

I have the original Lastolite 24" version of this setup. It is more expensive, but I like it. Perfect compromise between softness and portability that I use for those times when you need to work in tighter locations and an umbrella or larger softbox is a little too big. It fits pretty much any speedlight thanks to it's versatile adapter.

When the room permits, though, I go right for the Apollo softboxes. They have 2 sizes, a 28" and a 50". I find the light quality is nicer and I get better full body results with the 28" and for multiple people that 50" is great.

When it comes time to shoot outside, I don't use the softboxes, as I find them a little clumsy (though I have done it successfully)... outside I do not care about light bouncing around from anywhere, as it is not an issue, so a 43" shoot through umbrella or my biggest bounce diffusers are what I use. Less wind issues, especially the bounce diffuser.

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
jerryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #10
Dromedary

tomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2684

I have their 24x36 inch softbox, it is OK. I had to do some finagling to get the universal speed ring to work with my Norman LH500 heads, but I figured out a way.

As to quality, 4 steel rods, and some fabric, what is the difference? I see nothing wrong with mine except it did not come with instructions.

For what it is worth one corner has a flap, you put your first rod through that corner. You put the other three rods into the corner pockets, like assembling a kids kite. Finally, you pull the fabric out on the flapped corner until you can fasten the velcro flap over the end of that rod. If you do not realize what that velcro flap is for you will wind up beating your head against the wall before you get the thing assembled.

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Lighting and Technique »

Share this topic: