Greetings from Puerto Rico
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Greetings from Puerto Rico

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. After lurking for a bit, I must say that there are some great photographers here! I hope to be able to learn from y'all, and maybe I can contribute something worthwhile, too.

I live in Puerto Rico, but I'm originally from South Carolina. I'm 39 years old and have been playing around with cameras since I was about 10 when my father gave me an old Kodak Signet 35 rangefinder. I've since owned Canon, Minolta, and Pentax SLRs. I've processed E-6 film and black & white negatives and prints. The last thing I did before my darkroom went into storage was play around with lith printing.

Like just about everyone else nowadays, I am enjoying the digital revolution. I've had my Olympus E300 for a couple of years now, and it seems like I am still learning to use it!

Here are a couple of my better photos from the last year or so...

P2181706.jpg
A view from the lighthouse on Isla Caja de Muertos, a small island off the south coast of the main island of Puerto Rico.

P3051898.jpg
Some sailboats in the evening light. La Parguera, Puerto Rico.

Enjoy!

MrDave

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelightseer/
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 1685
Default Re: Greetings from Puerto Rico

Welcome to the Camel! I really like both of these shots. The only thing in the first one would be to warm it up some and maybe a little more definition to the green stuff. IMHO

happusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1688
Editing OK?: Ask first

#1 is my favorite. I like the colours and how the land points toward the horizon.
Old 06-17-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2711051

The colors are really nice in both these shots. I might dodge the lighter boats in the 2nd to give them a bit more defenition. Welcome!
Old 06-17-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17

Thanks for the kind replies!

Brian, you made a good point about the foreground on the Caja de Muertos picture. In the large size version there is quite a bit of detail in the forest. But in the reduced size version (for posting) the details all tend to run together into a big dark green blob. Not only that, but I was standing on the edge of a steep hill at that moment which made it difficult to balance the horizon with near foreground detail. The result was a flatter looking image than I might have otherwise liked. A wider angle lens (wider than my 14mm [28mm eq.]) might have helped in this regard. You also mentioned warming the image. I would be interested to see what you mean. Feel free to edit.

Cedric, thanks for the reply! Image #1 does have have an overall abstract geometric pattern to it, doesn't it.

Padre, thanks for looking! I must admit that I don't know how I can dodge those boats. I use PS 7, but my skills are somewhat limited. The sailboats image was shot with a soft Sigma zoom lens at high ISO. I used NeatImage to remove the noise. I used the Auto Tone function in Olympus Master, and I finally used PS to adjust the contrast, level the horizon, and unsharp mask. I will look at the PS manual to see what kind of dodging tools I can use. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,
MrDave
Old 06-17-2007   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 48

These are both nice shots, each has a good composition to them.
I like them.
Well done.
Nikon 50mm f1.8,
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8,
Ricky Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755

Hi Dave,

Very nice perspective and beautiful captures - both.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #8
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes

My immediate thought on the first picture was how the lines drew my eyes to the focal point, which is nice. The colors are spectacular. I do wish there was something in the foreground to increase the interest. Second one is a cool shot, but I find the glob of land a bit distracting. It seems out of place with the rest of the subjects. Nice work.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11015

hi am from puerto rico too,am glad seeing people from my beautiful Puerto Rico here,very nice photos.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: