Life in the Arctic, Living on the ice
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 422
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Arrow Life in the Arctic, Living on the ice

60 rolls of Vericolor professional type S 100 ISO Color Film

High in the Arctic .. .. .. Eskimo ! !

Challenge: how do you develop color film when you have no water ?

TEMPERATURE MINUS 50 BELOW ZERO !!

200 MILES ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE, Point Hope Alaska

In a small whaling community of only 750 Inupiaq Eskimos

Point Hope Alaska is the oldest continually inhabited settlement or village in all of North America.

Tuzroyluks crew, cruising for a bowhead whale @ 50 below zero in the Chukchi Sea in the Bering Strait of upper Alaska.

A bowhead whale can easily out run this tiny skin boat. What people do not know is that we don't chase a whale, we WAIT for that whale to give itself over to the CAPTAIN of its choice!

Come along and learn the ways of the Inupiaq Eskimo.. We sleep outside no tents for two months at temps exceeding 50 below zero, we do this just so we can EAT!

This is home for the next two months or longer, depending on ice conditions. At this very moment we are camped out 5 miles out on the ocean ice pack.

How do you obtain delicious fresh drinking water, many miles out on the frozen arctic ice pack of salt water ?? over 700 people are out here at this very moment!

The tents are about 1/2 mile - 3/4 mile back from the edge of the ice where the hunters have their camp. The tents are for the women only to prepare the food for a crew of 8 hunters one boyer, and 3 - 5 women who do the cooking. This is home

18 whaling captains and their crews are spread out along the lead opening, 1/2 - 3/4 a mile apart. Each whaling camp is identical in every aspect. It doesn't matter which tent you go into, everything is in the exact same place.

Come along for a fantastic journey into a world you have never seen, enjoy these images from the warmth and comfort of your home or office.

I promise you spectacular photos and amazing stories that are TRUE!

Kathy Rock, Age 10 - 4 miles out on the Ocean ice pack, temp is 40 below zero, she is sitting on the seat of a snowmachine or snowmobile.

As I rasied my camera to compose an imaje of her lovely face, she started to smile and I brought the camera down and said NO! do not do that. I told her, Kathy, you can't see me, I am not here, Look, past me, I am not here,
I spent over 1/2 hour with this child, and only exposed one frame of film!

Yes ! that is exactly what I wanted -=[click]=-

Old 05-07-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Melting snow, To develop COLOR FILM ?? ?? ??

First, WELCOME TO THE CAMEL!

Thanks for these lovely images. Obviously exposure is a problem in that light. As for your water problem, I think the best bet is keep the unexposed film cold and develop it when you get back to civilization.

Cheers/Mike
blumesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

Wow. Great story and images. Thanks. The last two are very good.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #4
Vicuna

Well tlhe problem wasn't with the film. I have been processing C-41 using Kodak chemicals for many decades. I started learning using C-22.

but tons of snow was melted, Clean snow, we had to travel far to get clean snow, miles out side of the village. When melted it was "filthy" with animal hairs, soot, and other assorted small bits of debris. The water had a yellowish tinge to it. and it was filtered through towels to remove all foreign material.

I had no choice, I had to get these photographs up to Barrow Alaska. A closed meeting of whaling captains only was coming up and I had to finish this project and see what I could do, on my own, to help these people retain their aboriginal rights to hunt the Bowhead whale.

The main problem was with one of the cameras I was using, it just would not work right down on the ice and in those extreme cold temperatures.

Place a camera on a tripod and keep it there for months! Out in the violent wind that is never ending, I had to literally chip the ice out of the viewfinder everymorning, when the sun came up to reveal the ice encased camera.

Batteries are useless out here. They die! I don't care how many you bring out here, they won't last.

I have been on 5 whale hunts, The first year, all I had was a Nikon F3 and sixty rolls of vericolor.. I will never use, own or possess a Nikon ever again. It constantly failed.

The most spectacular composition ever, IT FAILED MISERABLY & would not function.

My second whale hunt I had 5 cameras, 300 rolls of vericolor film.

Not one of those cameras ever failed ONCE.!

Pentax K1000 worked perfectly, flawlessly, while encased in ice. The same held true for the Cannon AE1 - Leica - Mamiya RB 67 - Mamiya C220

They never failed once ever, no matter how much ice was around those cameras.

Oh but today we use DIGITAL. ha ha ha ha.. go ahead, bring that rig down on the ocean ice and watch what happens. It won't last 12 hours never mind 12 weeks.

Every camp is set up in the same manner, even the tents are all identical inside. Same things, in the same places. These are time tested methods.

5 miles out on the ocean ice, Over 700 people need FRESH water, for drinking and makiing soup(s) etc. We melt snow for washing dishes and such, but how do you suppose, we get TONS of delicious fresh drinking water ? way out here, 5 miles out on the middle of the Chukchi Sea, in the Bering Strait of upper Alaska 200 miles above the Arctic circle ??
Majik Imaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 93884
Editing OK?: Ask first

Welcome to Camel.
Beautiful series love when it captured in its natural state and emotion.
Great Documentaion it truly amazing how they live,hunt,and gee no electricty or all the extra comforter I belive they always have a better chance of surving the extreme cold temp.
Thanks for the Series and sharing it with all the Camel Members.
Old 05-12-2007   #6
Vicuna

We are surrounded by ice everywhere, many miles out.. at this present date and time, 11 miles out ! If and when the wind shifts, we have to evacuate,
Typically the wind is strong and from the North. always. .. but at times, it can shift suddenlly.

When that wind shifts, we have less than 1/2 hour to get everything and everyone off the ice, 700 people, it is an organized mass exodus everyone for himselfl, each crew.
It takes about 8 hours to set up a working camp. It takes 15 mnutes to get the hell out of there.. Ice is coming and it will run right over eveything in its path.

Anythng can happen at any time out here .. .. .. !!
Old 05-12-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 28600
Editing OK?: Yes

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and experiences. Your photos are truly amazing. Also let me add my welcome to the Camel.
Cheers,
Colby
Old 05-17-2007   #8
Vicuna

Thank you Colby and all the other people for your positive respones to my images.

I have done my job well to get such rich comments!

I will not dissapoint you .. .. ..

Daisy Della Fay Age 3. In 1983 United Bank of Alaska offered me 100k for the complete rights to this image, under the advice of some friends high in the Art world I declined that offer, I am sure glad I took their advice. I have passed that figure long ago on sales of this one image.
We had a small Educational Fine Art Lifestyle / Culture Gallery on 420 Wl. Fourth Ave. in Anchorage, for a year in 2002 to test a market survey, I was shocked a t the results. During the tourist season we often overheard a native walking by with a visitor pointing to this image and saying to the visitor.. THAT was my daughter when she was a child. which of course wasn't true ! But at least 5 times a week we would hear that comment and chuckle !

Two teen-age Girl-Friends Elaine & Minnie pose for me in traditional Native dress @ 50 below zero. Do they look cold ? Nope ! As long as your dressed properly , you can easily stay outside all day long and NOT GET COLD !

We soon hope to capture another image of these two ladies, 27 years later and post it soon.

I have been trying to get these two together for some time now to organize this composition.

Aaka & Aapa - Grandmother & Grandfather - Lilly & Donald Oktollik

Donald was an Episcopal Minister in his younger days. He passed away in 1990 at the age of 90. Lilly passed away in 2002 at the young age of 98

My four sons.. .. .. .. GREAT grandparents !

Now for a story you will just never believe !

coming soon !
Old 05-25-2007   #9
Vicuna

18 whaling captains are spaced out 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile apart along the lead opening. The women are much further back on much safer ice. This is where they do the cooking all day long, day in and day out for 2 months. Each camp is identical in every aspect, the same things are in the same places no matter which tent you go into.

Making dounuts at 50 below zero (outside temp) it is more than warm enough for this woman to be comfortable to mix the dough and let it rise. Figure out the temp difference between that piece of cloth ? over 100 degrees difference between the outside air @ - 50 below and +70 above in the tent. but to make the dough "RISE" it must be put into a clean plastic bag, then the bag is inserted under the womans parky,
in the same manner in which a child is carried and the dough will rise from her back body heat! Just perfect !

ARE THE DOUNUTS READY YET ? Every camp has fresh dounuts every day, fresh duck soup, fresh caribou soup, we have a varied variety of foods out here on the Ocean ice in the middle of frozen no where.

At night, when the women (3-5) go to sleep. A "Boyer" is in charge, all by himself, all night long, alone.

His Job... his responsibility.. .. .. Keep that woodstove going all night long, by chopping wood using an axe, use sicpan to help the wood burn which is extremly flammable, use too much and you will burn down the tent.
He has many chores, including washing all the dishes and melting snow for washing and ice for delicous fresh drinking water. His chores also include making fresh coffee, tea, hot chocolate and fill the thermoses and bring them back to the lead opening and pick up all the empties, make new coffee, tea, hot chocolate again, watch the wind, in case it should shift, watch and inspect the ice because it can crack and open up anywhere at any time, anything can happen out here, that is why he is awake, by himself to make sure, everything is ok for those women to get a good nights well deserved rest.

These women work very very hard. long hard hours, so much work to feed a crew of 8 hunters a boyer and the women. that is a lot of food every day.

hand your matches and your lighter over to the boyer, it is tiime for him to go to work.. lie down, go to sleep..

THIS IS A 3 YEAR OLD CHILD !!!!! This is a Boyer ! and he is armed with many rifles in case of a polar bear attack, It only takes one bullet to kill a polar bear, IF YOU HIT HIM.. .. in the ear ! A well placed shot with a .22 will do the job.

I told you, you will never believe this TRUE STORY !!

HOWARD STONE JR. was the very first boyer I met in 1982. He also was just 3 years old
he came into our tent and asked for my lighter, I said NO! i can't give you THAT. EVERYONE was laughing at me ! because I did not know, how much experience he had !
WowoW - & I am stil feeling the same bizarre sensation of disbelief as you are, at this moment also !
Old 05-27-2007   #10
Vicuna

Default Warning : Polar Bear !

DANGER: Polar bear - Nanuq (Nanook of the north) Nanuq is pronouned just like that old "fake" movie Nanook of the north made decades ago.. what is so ironic is that the persons name was not really Nanook and that in real life he died by being eaten by a polar bear!

Sob.. I had a very close friend in Point Lay (100 miles+ north here) Charles Stalker Jr. III He was my electrical apprentice in that village. Dec 1990 Sob.. .. A polar bear was going after his pregnant girlfriend. Chalres was only armed with a knife when he distracted that bear away from his girlfriend. He never had a chance, one swipe of the LEFT paw, literally cut him into two pieces and he was eaten. The bear was killed and his girl-friend survived that attack because of the heroism that Charles displayed.
Allan Rock was out on the ocean ice and was attacked by a polar bear. Armed with only a large knife. That bear died!
ALL bearsare left handed, they will always swing with the left paw first.
Billy weber was out on the ocean ice and a polar bear was coming after him. armed with only a .22 rifle and only one bullet left. Billly weber ran, His friends could see the predicament he was in but were too far away to help. There is only one place to shoot a polar bear, and that is in the ear. Shoot for the skull and it will bounce off his skull and the bear will get you!
Billy was running for his life, and that bear was gaining on him, while running he merely pointed that rifle back and took his last shot, Billy lived to tell about it.. that bear was that close, that Billy got him right in the ear.

These are all very true stories that anyone in Point Hope will verify.
Last week, ha ha ha... Gus Kowanna (17) bought himself a rifle that was way too powerful for him or anyone else for that matter, he was warned, don't do that Gus, and don't put a scope on it, he didn't listen. .303 weatherbee bolt action. Gus proudly went out to the ice with his new weapon, He was warned, Gus is out on the ice and went up to the tent for something, when he came out of the tent, there was a polar bear, looking at him from about 30 or 40 yards away or slightly further. Gus picked up his rifle and took careful aim and pulled the trigger, That scope punched him right in the eye and now the polar bear is coming after him, Gus loaded another bullet and took aimi and held on for dear life to that rifle.. BLAM.. that scope punched him square in the eye and he is hurting so bad, getting socked like that, he can't think of the pain he doesn't have much time left at all, carefully he loads another round and held it as tight as could be and pulled that trigger.. that bear went down and Gus got rid of that rifle. I wish I could have reached Gus to get a pic of his face. it was sure swollen. black eye real bad.. he learned his lesson, the hard way. but at least he alive.

Even after that polar bear is dead, stone cold dead, that bear can still kill that hunter or who ever opens that bear up for gutting or skinning or whatever it is called. The liver must be destroyed by fire, so that other animals will not eat it. the tubes must be carefully tied and you better know what your doing, if you get any of that juice on your skin, your dead, there is just too much vitamin A inside that bear.
In Barrow Alaska 1940's A very famous Inupiaq hunter was cleaning a polar bear and he was all but finished and his hands were cold and he cupped his hands to blow into them, he got the tinest bit of that juice on his lip.
He lived for many years and everyone in those parts is aware of him, he passed on in the late 80's I think. His skin was bleached pure white and his hair was as white as snow, he lived, and everyone is witness to this bizarre event.
Scientists are concerned about global warming and the recent amount of polar bears that show up in the water drown, dead. They figure it is because of the extended long swims from the ice pack to the next ice pack.
That is not the reason ! There seems to be a shortage of seals further north, and a polar bear will attack anything he can eat. and the biggest mistake a bear can make is to attack a sleeping walrus. A walrus likes to sleep on its back, neck up head back exposing his vital neck region, the walrus is stretched out, asleep and along comes a polar bear, hungry, he pounces on that walrus who merely lowers his tusks around the bears head and rolls over into the water and drowns the bear! The walrus always wins.
Polar bears live on the ice, they follow the ice, sometimes they miss and end up in town, we do our best to get them out of town, but when a bear is going after a child or another person, we have no choice but to take it down quick.

Last month a mother with 3 cubs intered town, the ending was a good one, they were successful in getting that mother out of town and back onto the ocean ice.
The most delicous meat I have ever tasted in all my life has been polar bear meat, It is jet black, grainy like an old piece of garnled wood but it is so sweet and tender, better than the best prime rib I have ever eaten, It was the only time I have ever asked for seconds and everyone all at once said NO!

The hunter takes care of the bear, the women take care of the skin. This skin is worth over 15,000! To properly accomplish a "native" tan, without the use of chemicals, an extremelly sharp Ullu knife is needed, and many women are required to finish this in the course of an entire day.

Sally Killigvuk (left) and Elizabeth Oviok - Postmaster (right) are using all they got with much strength to scrape the skin until it is soft and clean. There are about six women working on this and it will take them most of the entire day.
Once it is cleaned then it must be thrown into the ocean tied up of course to something solid, then it is hung up in the Arctic wind for a few months to dry out.

Well I hope you found this "bear-y" interesting !
I have LOTS MORE to "show & tell"

The best.. ... is yet to come.. ..!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: