Night Sky in AZ
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 227430
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Night Sky in AZ

This was done in my backyard the other night. First time in a long time the sky was clear. Hope you all enjoy it.

_MG_0005.jpg

Justsomeguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Night Sky in AZ

Light pollution makes it difficult to see or photograph dim stars around here. I have to get many miles out of town to get decent star shots. What exposure was this taken at?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #3
Vicuna

It was 10 second exposure and I did some serious edits to it
Old 12-11-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

About as long as you can go without showing motion blur at "normal" focal lengths, but I was also hoping for an f-stop and an ISO rating too, so I could estimate the light level under which the image was taken.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
About as long as you can go without showing motion blur at "normal" focal lengths, but I was also hoping for an f-stop and an ISO rating too, so I could estimate the light level under which the image was taken.
ISO was 3200 and F/Stop was 3.5
Old 12-11-2017   #6
Photocamel Master

Here is one of my own surviving early shots. Most of my early dSLR output from 2005 to 2011 died in an irrecoverable disk failure.

10 sec @ f/1.4 @ ISO 1600, sunny white balance, 30 mm (48 mm FF equivalent) in Scotts Valley, California. These days, I would have closed the aperture to f/2 to reduce the edge falloff and coma that produced weird "tails" on the stars near the edge of the field of view. I would have also used the tungsten preset white balance to make the scene more faithful to what an on-site viewer would see. Light pollution conditions aren't that great, but is still better than within the Oakland city limits where I live.

IMG_8179rs.jpg

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic:

Tags
astrophotography, night sky, stars