PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids and Family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012   #1
Alpaca

mc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1803
Default 2 of my son for C & C

Hi all, it's been a while since my very first post, thanks for the warm welcome I received! Here are 2 of my son. This was an experiment in natural lighting. Any critique and comments are welcome!

Jay-0165 by mchatham79, on Flickr

Jay-0137 by mchatham79, on Flickr

Old 04-26-2012   #2
Alpaca

mc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to allmc1979 is a name known to all
Default Re: 2 of my son for C & C

Wow, no comments at all.
mc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3
F1 Camel

crybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcrybabe strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 16030870
Editing OK?: Ask first

both excellent portraits. the first one seems just a teeny bit over exposed to me, but nothing serious at all. Second one I just love. Skin tones look good, nice sharp eyes. Great job. He's a handsome little guy.
crybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #4
Alpaca

Thank crybabe, I was thinking it was a tad bit overexposed on the right side of his face as well, BUT I think I did that in post. I love the 2nd one as well, was curious if others thought the DOF was to shallow.
Old 04-26-2012   #5
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 7920504
Editing OK?: Yes

I don't think the dof is too shallow. I think you did a great job showcasing the boy's eyes, lovely.

What lens did you use?
Old 04-26-2012   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 124032850

Lovely shot of you handsome son, MC. Very nice eyes. I agree with Mary on the first one being slightly overexposed.
Old 04-26-2012   #7
OSD
Dromedary

OSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorOSD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 263264

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1979 View Post
I was thinking it was a tad bit overexposed on the right side of his face as well, BUT I think I did that in post.
If that's the case than it is easy to fix.

I like them both! The whites of his eyes look too white in the first one - if you brightened/whitened them then I think you took it a bit too far. Otherwise I really like the expressions you got. He's cute!
Tracy Sutherland Photography
On Facebook
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #8
Llama

SquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3940

Nice shots. I do agree they're a bit over-exposed.

Also - I like the pose in the second but think it could be cropped a bit better. IMO the eyes are too close to center.
Old 04-30-2012   #9
Alpaca

Thanks all for the replies. I used the 50mm lense on both of these. Believe it or not I didn't bright have to brighten the whites, I think I did sharpen and add some contrast.. He has the loveliest eyes and when I get the light in them just right they almost look unreal. I will go back and adjust my exposure on the first shot and see if that helps.

Squirrel, I know what you mean about being centered...but could you show me how you would crop it? Because I never could figure out how to without chopping limbs!
Old 05-05-2012   #10
Llama

SquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to beholdSquirrelDip is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3940

Others may have different suggestions but I'd put the eyes closer to, or at, the third points. If using a fixed lens you'll need to back up a bit to compose better (or to leave enough room to crop).

Here's a capture from my Lightroom:

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids and Family »

Share this topic: