PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Interviews and Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008   #1
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6150
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Lifetouch Studios to reprint yearbook for altering pics.

Lifetouch studios to reprint Mckinney High School's yearbook for 30 pictures that has been altered to include head swapping:

Company to reprint yearbooks after head switching

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
Old 05-21-2008   #2
Llama

rshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1099
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Lifetouch Studios to reprint yearbook for altering pics.

Lifetouch has always had very questionable business practices, so this is no surprise.

What does surprise me is that a photographer shot a yearbook without in-camera crop lines and head boxes - they make it so much easier to get every head in the correct spot within the frame.

But then again. . .a lot of folks have a "fix it in post" attitude.

Bob S.
Old 05-21-2008   #3
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshunk View Post
Lifetouch has always had very questionable business practices, so this is no surprise.

What does surprise me is that a photographer shot a yearbook without in-camera crop lines and head boxes - they make it so much easier to get every head in the correct spot within the frame.

But then again. . .a lot of folks have a "fix it in post" attitude.

Bob S.
What gets me is that they cornered most of the schools in my area. They use Lifetouch exclusively, when they really are not that great.

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

Old 05-21-2008   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3890333
Editing OK?: Ask First

I doubt most schools care about how good the company doing the printing is. They are looking for the best bang to buck ratio, I'd imagine.

If you're concerned, make sure every school around there gets a copy of the article....but it probably would have no effect.
Old 05-21-2008   #5
F1 Camel

LOL, that would be Sabotage...LOL I like your style!

Old 05-21-2008   #6
Llama

rshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of lightrshunk is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1099
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00silvergt View Post
What gets me is that they cornered most of the schools in my area. They use Lifetouch exclusively, when they really are not that great.
I know that they offer HUGE incentives/kick-backs to schools and other organizations to get their business - something a smaller company or individual could never afford to do. But they deliver crap and people keep on buying!!

One of the "questionable business practices" I mentioned happened to my sister. Her daughter (5 years old) had their "Fall Picture Day" done with no notification to the parents during the 2nd week of school. Then, when the photos came back, the kids were given the photos and a bill to give to their parents to pay. Well, most of the kids handed out some wallet photos to friends before making it home, so the parents (my sister included) felt that they had to pay for the images - even though they didn't order them!! Pretty questionable and, I think, unethical.

Bob S.
Old 05-21-2008   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshunk View Post
I know that they offer HUGE incentives/kick-backs to schools and other organizations to get their business - something a smaller company or individual could never afford to do. But they deliver crap and people keep on buying!!

One of the "questionable business practices" I mentioned happened to my sister. Her daughter (5 years old) had their "Fall Picture Day" done with no notification to the parents during the 2nd week of school. Then, when the photos came back, the kids were given the photos and a bill to give to their parents to pay. Well, most of the kids handed out some wallet photos to friends before making it home, so the parents (my sister included) felt that they had to pay for the images - even though they didn't order them!! Pretty questionable and, I think, unethical.

Bob S.

That's how we got it to for my 2 school-aged kids. They gave us a week notice. The pictures were crap, mostly of the backdrop, my son was centered on the frame which he covered about 20% of and rest was all backdrop and props, as if they wanted to show off their backdrop instead of my son. Cut all sorts of sizes and then had a bill attached.

Old 05-21-2008   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3890333
Editing OK?: Ask First

The practices won't change as long as people keep on paying the bills....If you didn't order, then you didn't order. They don't want a lawsuit on their plate, either as defendant or prosecution...

And I'd certainly call the school (and school board) and mention the no notice, didn't order, crap work, etc too....
Old 05-22-2008   #9
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836

The school relies upon the "participation" aka: rebate, kick-back from these outfits. If my math still works 20% of nothing equals nothing. If parents stop ordering/buying from these guys another company will get the gig. Unfortunately, it will most likely be company made with the same cookie cutter

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 05-22-2008   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman45 View Post
The school relies upon the "participation" aka: rebate, kick-back from these outfits. If my math still works 20% of nothing equals nothing. If parents stop ordering/buying from these guys another company will get the gig. Unfortunately, it will most likely be company made with the same cookie cutter
I wonder how many of our members work for Lifetouch? LOL

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Interviews and Articles »

Share this topic: