PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Interviews and Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012   #1
Dromedary

hatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1071362
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Think Tank Speed Belt System Review

Sharing some thoughts about the Speed Belt system. I've used it for a couple of years now...really enjoy the setup.

The post.

Happy New Year all.
Frank

25 Helpful Lighting Diagrams
Hatch1921.com

hatch1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
Llama

S_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1062053
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Think Tank Speed Belt System Review

Hi Frank, I been looking at this, do you have the lens changer or the skins pouch? I'm looking to carrying the camera in the holster and 75 & 50 for the lens. But, I'm sure what to buy, the skins has the flap the would more secure but could be a pain. My idea is to leave the camera, a 70-200 and 24-70 in it and be able to grab it and go. If you have the lens change would it be safe to grab and go without fear of the lens falling out?
Thanks Steve.
S_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
Dromedary

hatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorhatch1921 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Hi Steve,

I've had no issues with the safety of my lenses in the 75/50/35 pouches. The draw string keeps them in there tight and the lenses are snug even without the draw string. Unless you are in a full sprint... I can't see any chance for the lenses coming out of the pouches.

I haven't had an issue with changing them out either. It's been a great system, and as I mentioned in the post... it's the best investment I've made when it comes to photography in some time.

Hope this helps.
Frank

Old 01-09-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568

Hi Frank,

That's a nice write-up/review you did May I ask what camera strap you use with this setup ?

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
Hi Frank,

That's a nice write-up/review you did May I ask what camera strap you use with this setup ?

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home
Thanks Max

Just a standard strap... I've never hooked the camera to the rings on the suspenders. I wouldn't mid giving this one a try...

LINK

I've found with the standard strap, I can rest the camera between the main pouch and the utility case... while I'm walking to another location to shoot.

Hope this helps and thanks again,
Frank

Old 01-09-2012   #6
Llama

S_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorS_Porter strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thanks Frank, Yes it does help I have the lens changer 75, holster and belt in my wish list on Amazon. Looks like I maybe adding it before spring. I do have the Think Tank Speed Demon and like it a lot they make great stuff.
Thanks again, great review.
Steve
Old 01-09-2012   #7
Dromedary

No problem I've enjoyed the setup... has taken all the weight off my back... which is great!

Frank

Old 03-12-2012   #8
Llama

Hey Frank, I thought I would share with you and others. I did order the Thank Tank Pro Speed belt, Holster 40, Lens Changer Pop Down 75 and Lens Changer 50. As you said in your review it is great, very comfortable and very well made. If you don't me adding to your review, there is some observation I made after having it of a few weeks, it may help others out in making their decision on buying the belt system.
The Holster 40 holds my gripped D7000 with a 24-70 when it’s not expanded and with it expanded the 70-200 2.8 without the hood in place, with the hood in place and it expanded it still zips but it’s a little tight. The 70-200 fits nice in the Lens Changer 75 with or without the hood in place. The changers are very secure when they have the draw string pulled tight and easy to get into when the strings are loose.
I got the L/XL Pro belt 38” – 48” because I wear 34” pants and their description states pants sizes can vary 2-5 inches smaller than true waist measurements, to make it tighten enough to hold the weight I have no more room left on the belt. Maybe I should have when with the M/L size: 32” – 42”, but I want to add the harness later so I can wear it over a heavy coat and not have the belt tightened. The larger belt tightened up gives me the ability to move the holster and changers all the way to the front to change the lens.
I use this as my everyday bag; I grab the belt, throw it over my shoulder and head out. I like that I can take the lens changers off the belt quickly and just take the camera if I choose to. I have not used the holster or the changers on the Speed Demon yet, but I’m sure they will work on it great also.
Hope this helps others with their decision, Think Tank makes great products.

Old 03-15-2012   #9
Alpaca

Möntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of lightMöntgomery is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch1921 View Post
Sharing some thoughts about the Speed Belt system. I've used it for a couple of years now...really enjoy the setup.

The post.

Happy New Year all.
Frank
Me to. I have an all prime setup so I only use a few pouches. However it allows me to change lenses quickly and don't bother with lens caps etc.
Möntgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #10
Llama

scootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscootermcq strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 320653

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch1921 View Post
Thanks Max

Just a standard strap... I've never hooked the camera to the rings on the suspenders. I wouldn't mid giving this one a try...

LINK

I've found with the standard strap, I can rest the camera between the main pouch and the utility case... while I'm walking to another location to shoot.

Hope this helps and thanks again,
Frank
I put 2 - 1" web straps that I bought at a sporting goods store for 3 bucks each over each shoulders of my lowepro belt system. I threw a few stitches in them to hold them in place. Then I attached a locking carabiner like the blackrapid on them. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230704297105?...84.m1497.l2649 Now my belt system is a dual camera sling like the double blackrapid. I do have the blackrapid as well, but it does not play well with the belts & harness. I use this setup for weddings and have found it secure and invaluable. Cost me $20 and is the best way to carry 2 bodies on harness and have them always ready

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Interviews and Articles »

Share this topic: