Bodie
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 791189
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bodie

I'm taking a two day trip. Stopping at Bodie Ghost town and Mono lake. I was surprised how big Bodie is. Probably a hundred buildings standing.

Old 07-11-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199622943
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Bodie

Nice shots of an interesting place Greg.
Old 07-14-2018   #3
Llama

Thanks again.
Gregw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Like the first shot. I had to spend a bit of time looking at the second one to realize what it was - nice reflection.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018   #5
Llama

I did a couple of that frame. Focused first on the bottles in the display window. I wound up liking the focus on the distant buildings better.
Old 07-16-2018   #6
Llama

Slow implosion.
Old 07-16-2018   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

I probably would have made the same choice if I had to choose. Nevertheless, if it is reasonably possible, it would be interesting to see a focus stack of the current image and the one with the focus on the bottles. The only real problem I have with this image is the bad blur of the picket fence in the foreground. I would have preferred the window frames to be sharp too, but I can understand why they are blurred and can live with that level of blur. I doubt that you had a tripod immediately at hand, but having one would have enabled stopping down your aperture a bit more.

And if you had a polarizer with you, you could have used it to emphasize the reflections by about a stop or to suppress the reflections to show the bottles better, depending on how you oriented the polarizer. Of course, you would also need to check that the polarizer didn't do untoward things to your camera's exposure metering or autofocus becuase the quarter-wave plate is no longer necessarily a quarter wave at infrared wavelengths. That said, the infrared conversion itself may also have skewed the reliability of the camera's exposure readings.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #8
Llama

I did have a tripod in the car, a polarizer on my 35mm lens (I shot this with the 58mm), so I could have done all that you suggested. What can I say other than I just didn't think about it. The other shots of this window are framed where I don't think stacking would work. The picket fence is only visible in the reflection.
Old 07-18-2018   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
What can I say other than I just didn't think about it. The other shots of this window are framed where I don't think stacking would work. The picket fence is only visible in the reflection.

How about "#$&@#!"?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #10
Llama

LOL, I suppose I could say that. I'm happy with several of the shots I've processed. Still have a few to play around with.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: