At the river - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2018   #21
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: At the river

Oleg, sorry for taking some time to "process" your image. This is what I managed to produce.

The first thing I did was to take your image into Lightroom Classic CC (LR) and do a bit of processing in LR. I then took the image into Photoshop CC (PS) and did a channel swap: RED -> 100% BLUE, BLUE -> 100% RED, and GREEN -> 50% RED and 50% BLUE. I then did some adjustments using CURVES and HSL. The final result was as shown below and is similar to what you produced and not that different from what Gregw produced with Darktable, although his sky and water are a bit different.

This image is slightly pixelated because of the small size of the original. As well, I wasn't able to get a good White Balance because Lightroom is not that good at converting IR images. I also think that the blues did not come out very well because you are taking your IR images using an unconverted camera and an IR filter on the front of the lens. I suspect that with a converted camera using a 720nm filter, the sky and the water might look better in false colour. Regardless, the black and white image, below, doesn't appear to be that bad.

Out of curiosity, I converted it to Black and White using Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2. The result was:

This image is not too bad, but it is still a bit pixelated because of the small size of the original. I used the Nik plugin only. It is possible a better black and white image might be obtained using PS.

I do hope this helps a bit. I would encourage you to continue your IR imagery as using black and white should render some interesting pictures for you.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018   #22
Llama

CamelKarma: 941940
Editing OK?: Yes

Hello WesternGuy,

Thank You.Very interesting
I never changed the green channel.
how important is manual white balance setting across the grass? or RAW format AUTO WB?
Canon 18-55STM, Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro,Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Canon PowerShot S120.
Oleg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #23
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg2010 View Post
Hello WesternGuy,

Thank You.Very interesting
I never changed the green channel.
how important is manual white balance setting across the grass? or RAW format AUTO WB?
Oleg, I have my camera, a 5D Mark III, set to shoot a custom White Balance, based on green grass. Since I shoot Raw , it doesn't really matter as I use a Custom Profile when I convert my images from the "in-camera" shot to those that are ready for further processing in Lightroom and Photoshop. Because I am shooting Raw, I can always change the WB in post-processing.

Custom Profile reference - http://www.luminescentphoto.com/2013...deo/#more-3425

As far as the Green channel goes, I did, in the past, not change my Green channel at all. But I was doing some reading one time and came across an article on the web that looked a couple of different ways to do the Channel Swap, one of which was to assign 50% of the Green channel to the Red channel and the other 50% to the Blue Channel. I decided to try it and now I use both "swaps" depending on which one works best for the image being processed. I find that the split of the Green channel seems to work better for those images that involve a lot of blue sky, but I really haven't tested it out.

You can also use the LAB colour to help with this conversion - https://kolarivision.com/post-infrar...pace-tutorial/

I have tried this, but I don't use it as part of my routine. I need to experiment a bit more with it to see if there is anything to be gained by using this approach.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Old 06-04-2018   #24
Llama

Hello WesternGuy,
THANKS!
thanks for the recommendations and links
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 06-10-2018   #25
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sorry about taking so long to reply, but I have been away from internet service for the past week and am only now getting caught up.

I got this information from Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, The Chemical Rubber Company, 50th Edition (1969-1970) page E-252. At the time I got this book new, CRC was revising it every year. This table, titled "Transmissionn of Wratten Filters," was originally compiled by Allie C. Peed, Jr. for the Eastman Kodak Company and is condensed from {i}Kodak Wratten Filters for Scientific and Technical use, published by Eastman Kodak Company. I haven't verified this, but you may also be able to get this information from Kodak Photographic Filters Handbook, ISBN 0879856580. I haven't seen any actual data from the filters or the spectrographic sensitivity curves for Canon sensors, but i did see a curve from a Nikon sensor, sans IR cutoff filter. Unfortunately, I never could find this curve again, nor have I seen published the transmission characteristics of any filters used in any commercial camera models, let alone modern ones.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018   #26
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Sorry about taking so long to reply, but I have been away from internet service for the past week and am only now getting caught up.

I got this information from Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, The Chemical Rubber Company, 50th Edition (1969-1970) page E-252. At the time I got this book new, CRC was revising it every year. This table, titled "Transmissionn of Wratten Filters," was originally compiled by Allie C. Peed, Jr. for the Eastman Kodak Company and is condensed from {i}Kodak Wratten Filters for Scientific and Technical use, published by Eastman Kodak Company. I haven't verified this, but you may also be able to get this information from Kodak Photographic Filters Handbook, ISBN 0879856580. I haven't seen any actual data from the filters or the spectrographic sensitivity curves for Canon sensors, but i did see a curve from a Nikon sensor, sans IR cutoff filter. Unfortunately, I never could find this curve again, nor have I seen published the transmission characteristics of any filters used in any commercial camera models, let alone modern ones.
Scoundrel, thanks for the information. Not a book, or books, that I have in my Library . I will definitely take your word for it. I did find this reference on the web - http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Do...en-filters.pdf - which is derived from the CRC Handbook of Chemistry. I will bookmark the page for future reference. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

WesternGuy

Old 06-11-2018   #27
Photocamel Master

Aside from minor layout differences and a typo, what you have is identical to what I have, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-13-2018   #28
Llama

Question Re: At the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
Scoundrel, thanks for the information. Not a book, or books, that I have in my Library . I will definitely take your word for it. I did find this reference on the web - http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Do...en-filters.pdf - which is derived from the CRC Handbook of Chemistry. I will bookmark the page for future reference. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

WesternGuy
Quote:
Aside from minor layout differences and a typo, what you have is identical to what I have, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the information, extremely interesting!
anyone has tried Filter 550nm Infrared ? 590nm? What effect, they miss more colors?
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 06-13-2018   #29
Photocamel Master

I haven't tried either of these long-wave-pass filters for digital infrared and I never even tried infrared film photography. That said, a 590 mm (alpha-) cutoff filter or thereabouts is one of Life-Pixel's options for infrared conversion, or in this case, hybrid infrared/long-wavelength visible light conversion. As I have said in a previous post on this forum, post #12 if you want to look it up.

Also perhaps of interest will be http://photocamel.com/forum/infrared...laying-ir.html. This link, post #2 will almost certainly be of interest.
Old 06-14-2018   #30
Llama

Thumbs up Re: At the river

Quote:
I haven't tried either of these long-wave-pass filters for digital infrared and I never even tried infrared film photography. That said, a 590 mm (alpha-) cutoff filter or thereabouts is one of Life-Pixel's options for infrared conversion, or in this case, hybrid infrared/long-wavelength visible light conversion. As I have said in a previous post on this forum, post #12 if you want to look it up.

Also perhaps of interest will be http://photocamel.com/forum/infrared...laying-ir.html. This link, post #2 will almost certainly be of interest.
Thanks for the links Extremely interesting 590 mm only for film photography? If the camera is not infrared conversion the effect will not be ?

Please, excuse my poor english...
Canon EOS 700D
Canon PowerShot S120.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: