My first infrared photo 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 941940
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My first infrared photo 2

Canon 700D Sigma 18-50 Filter Hoya IR 72
ISO 200 , 15s, F 8
what do you say ...

Canon 18-55STM, Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro,Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Canon PowerShot S120.
Oleg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: My first infrared photo 2

I think you are off to a good start!

I have not shot IR using a filter, but I do understand how it makes things harder than using a converted camera. In this image I do notice the motion blur. Its not too distracting though, and some people do like that effect. When using a filter, it makes your exposure long, so theres not too much you can do to help that.

There is a bit of focus issues going on. But when using a filter, focus becomes difficult. So overall you did a good job focusing.

Tell us a bit about how you processed this image. Eveeyone does their processing differently, so its interesting to hear how things are done. For me, I would tweak the colors a little bit. There seems to be a bit of green overall. If I were processing this image, i would try to remove the green, make the yellow a bit more yellow and try to make the sky blue. For me, I usually like the yellow blue contrast.

If you eventually decide that IR is something you like, get a converted camera. Get a newer camera, one that has live view. It really helps a lot. Your exposure times are much closer to normal. Depending on which conversion you pick. It also allows you to use live view to focus.

But for now, it looks like you are off to a great start.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #3
Llama

Thanks,Rob!
RAW, Convert the camera raw file into .DNG.
Navigate to the “Color Matrices” tab. Find White Balance Calibration and move the Temperature slider to -100.Open the .DNG file in Photoshop https://kolarivision.com/post-infrar...d-photography/
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 05-17-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717728
Editing OK?: No

I would agree with Rob that you are off to a reasonably good start, however, I suspect you still have the problem that the cutoff filter in your camera is doing exactly that, cutting off some of the upper end of the IR spectrum, thus the results you are getting.

Rob's point about getting a converted camera with LiveView, even if you buy a used one will probably yield results that are more like what most other photographers are getting. LiveView is very important in my opinion as it helps significantly in focusing your images, particularly with today's lenses that may not necessarily have a mark for focusing in the IR end of the spectrum

Which software are you using for your post-processing as I wonder if what you are doing for White Balance is sufficient given the limited range of your IR coverage. I am just asking, because I would be curious to know. Maybe there are others out there with more knowledge of the physics of light that can answer that question - Scoundrel(?).

I would encourage you to keep up your experimentation with your IR photography. It is only from the efforts of others that we can all learn. Using your approach, you might want to try a scene with more sky with some clouds in it and share your results.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
I would agree with Rob that you are off to a reasonably good start, however, I suspect you still have the problem that the cutoff filter in your camera is doing exactly that, cutting off some of the upper end of the IR spectrum, thus the results you are getting.

Rob's point about getting a converted camera with LiveView, even if you buy a used one will probably yield results that are more like what most other photographers are getting. LiveView is very important in my opinion as it helps significantly in focusing your images, particularly with today's lenses that may not necessarily have a mark for focusing in the IR end of the spectrum

Which software are you using for your post-processing as I wonder if what you are doing for White Balance is sufficient given the limited range of your IR coverage. I am just asking, because I would be curious to know. Maybe there are others out there with more knowledge of the physics of light that can answer that question - Scoundrel(?).

I would encourage you to keep up your experimentation with your IR photography. It is only from the efforts of others that we can all learn. Using your approach, you might want to try a scene with more sky with some clouds in it and share your results.

WesternGuy
Thanks, WesternGuy! My other variant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087-2.jpg (248.3 KB, 28 views)
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 05-18-2018   #6
Llama

I like the second version better.

For me, when its overcast with no blue sky, I tend to leave the sky an orange color, and leave the leaves blue. You can tweak the individual colors a bit more in PS, so they are what you like. Not sure if it was overcast when you took this image, but I find when its overcast, the channel swap doesnt usually work for me.

The beauty of IR, is that its all make believe, and you can do whatever you want. In this second image if I were processing it, it would make the sky more saturated, a deeper orange. The blue leaves I would also saturate more. I like the hue, but it needs more saturation.

Then I would brighten the tree trunks and branches, to get back more detail. I find IR captures a lot of detail. So I would pull all that detail out of the tree trunks and branches. All those lines could really be something. Or not, lol. It doesnt always work out.

The orange patches on the ground I would saturate as well. To add contrast, and something to pull your eye into the image, I would darken the darker areas on the ground, and lighten the brighter areas. Especially on the road to the right. Finally I usually add a suble vignette. I usually pull the vignette all the way to the center, and feather it out, and adjust the amount, so you can't see it if you dont know its there. But when you click it on and off its obvious you added it. For me, it finishes almost any image.

If you want, you could also start to tweak the blue leaves. You could start to change the hue on the different trees. They dont have to be all the same hue. It could add some dimension. Or not. You'd have to see how it came out. Sometimes it doesnt work.

Well thats how I'd process it. Everyone will have their own ideas and their own ways of processing. You're off to a great start. Enjoy it!

Old 05-18-2018   #7
Llama

Smile Re: My first infrared photo 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
I like the second version better.

For me, when its overcast with no blue sky, I tend to leave the sky an orange color, and leave the leaves blue. You can tweak the individual colors a bit more in PS, so they are what you like. Not sure if it was overcast when you took this image, but I find when its overcast, the channel swap doesnt usually work for me.

The beauty of IR, is that its all make believe, and you can do whatever you want. In this second image if I were processing it, it would make the sky more saturated, a deeper orange. The blue leaves I would also saturate more. I like the hue, but it needs more saturation.

Then I would brighten the tree trunks and branches, to get back more detail. The orange patches on the ground I would saturate as well. Then I would add a suble highlight on the road to the right. Finally i usually add a suble vignette. I usually pull the vignette all the way to the center, and feather it out, and adjust the amount, so you can't see it if you dont know its there. But when you click it on and off its obvious you added it. For me, it finishes almost any image.

Well thats how I'd process it. Everyone will have their own ideas and their own ways of processing. You're off to a great start. Enjoy it!
Thanks, Rob!
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 05-18-2018   #8
F1 Camel

Interesting. If I ignore the sky for a minute, this image, to me, looks more like what I would expect from a 720nm filtered camera. I would still like to see an image with about 30 to 40% sky in it, Just curious that's all. From the small amount of sky I can see in this image, I am guessing that you do not do a channel swap.

I am also still curious about what software you are using for your processing, as, for one thing, this determines how well you can obtain a good white balance for your images.

You might want to have a look at this Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1033489590006567/ . There are quite a number of users that belong to this group, each with a variety of different results and subjects.

WesternGuy

Old 05-18-2018   #9
F1 Camel

Rob, I am curious as to why "when its overcast, the channel swap doesnt usually work for me."

In what ways does it not work for you? Are there certain subjects that it doesn't work for when it is overcast? You have really piqued my curiosity with that statement, so I am hoping you can clarify my understanding of it.

WesternGuy

Old 05-18-2018   #10
Llama

WesternGuy, I'm not really sure why it doesnt work for me. For some reason, when its overcast, and theres no blue sky I dont like what happens to the image when i channel swap.

The colors just dont seem to come out the way i like. I'm probably not doing something right in the conversion. I havent actually shot IR in a long while now. I kind of miss it. Lol

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: