My first infrared photo
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 821281
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My first infrared photo

Hello
My first infrared photo
Canon 700D Sigma 18-50 Filter Hoya IR 72
ISO 100 , 15s, F 6.7
What do you think ? What's wrong?

File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (84.8 KB, 29 views)
Canon 18-55STM, Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Canon PowerShot S120.
Oleg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 400323
Default Re: My first infrared photo

The second one is noticeably unsharp. This could be due to a lens not well corrected for infrared. Some lenses are better than others for IR.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1456003
Editing OK?: Ask First

I assume that this was taken with a camera that has not been infrared converted. I've taken a few like that myself. When used in this way, only the red channel gets much exposure because what gets to the imager is only a narrow band of wavelengths around 720 nm. The R72 filter cuts off transmission at the visible end and the built-in infrared blocking cuts off the infrared end. Only a narrow band of wavelengths can make it through both filters. Part of the infrared conversion process is removing the existing infrared-blocking filter in the camera and replacing it with an infrared-pass, visible blocking filter of your choice.

Another problem is the focus shift for infrared light. Your lens is intended to focus with visible light. Some lenses, usually prime (non-zoom) lenses have a red focus mark engraved on the lens barrel by the regular focus mark. If your lens has one of these, you can use it to focus manually: focus manually without the filter, then turn the focus ring until the point that was formerly under the white mark is now under the red one.

The only other problem I see is the motion blur in the clouds and the foremost trees from the wind in the first image, but that is the result of the long exposure.

You might find the thread question for IR shooters interesting, especially posts #11-12. The infrared shot in post #11 is my own first attempt at infrared shooting with a dSLR, in this case a Canon 350D.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717294
Editing OK?: No

Oleg2010, I think that the previous contributors have pretty well said it all. Shooting in IR light is not the same as shooting in day light. It would be nice to know the answer to Scoundrel's question as to whether or not your camera has been converted to specifically shoot infrared imagery, or whether you have placed an IR72 filter on an unconverted camera. Most of the folks that I know and know of, including myself, are shooting with cameras that have been specifically converted to shoot infrared imagery.

As well as looking at the web site suggested by Scoundrel, you might want to read up on IR photography at the LifePixel site - https://www.lifepixel.com/introduction . Even if you have done some reading on IR photography, this site is a good review on IR imagery. If you would like some additional references, let me know by posting a question in this forum.

The start you have made is not that bad, I just think that IR photography is a bit more complicated and to really get a feeling for it, you do have to have a converted camera. If you are going to use filters on a camera, then it should at least have had the infrared blocking filter removed.

I hope the discussion here helps. Please feel free to post additional images and/or questions as there is usually a few of us who will attempt to answer them to the best of our experience and knowledge.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Llama

Thumbs up Re: My first infrared photo

Thanks, I use a IR filter, not converted camera.
WesternGuy Thanks for link
I will try further
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1456003
Editing OK?: Ask First

If you don't have the funds for an infrared-converted camera, some of the really old ones have internal IR blocking poor enough to be used unconverted. That is one reason I kept my old Nikon Coopix 950 as long as I have, despite the fact that it is practically falling apart. The old Olympus 2000, 2020, 3030, and I think 3040 are other models that can be used successfully with an R72 filter such as the one you already have. I also have an Oly C-3030 that actually has been IR converted, but I still prefer my IR-converted Nikon Coolpix 995. I also have an IR-converted Canon 350D, all with 830 nm cutoff filters.

By the way, I have taken mixed visible-IR images with my 950, usually when strong infrared sources such as fires or red-hot heating elements were in the image. I also took an image where I used an infrared-emitting remote control as a flashlight in an otherwise visible light image, though the visible light was subdued. The infrared light shows up as ashy blue-gray in otherwise visible light images.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
Llama

Smile Re: My first infrared photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
If you don't have the funds for an infrared-converted camera.
this is absolutely true , my only Canon700D for all situations, I use for this reason Filter

Thanks scoundrel1728! you're helping me a lot.

Please, excuse my poor english...
Canon EOS 700D
Canon PowerShot S120.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: