RAW vs. RAW + small jpeg (simple question, please help)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 546
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default RAW vs. RAW + small jpeg (simple question, please help)

I just started shooting RAW with my Canon 40D. I convert to DNG, then open the DNG in ACR, then directly to PSE 6.0 for further tweaks and/or resizing to jpeg. Problem is, when I convert to DNG, and put in a folder in "my pictures", I can not see the images, just the blue/white DNG icon. What I have been doing is choosing about 5-8 DNG files at a time and opening them into ACR, where I can then see the images. When I click on the individual images on the left, it opens in the main window of ACR where I can see if the image is worth post processing. This takes A LOT of my time. I miss shooting jpeg because at least then I could see all the images once I loaded them into a "my pictures" folder. Am I missing something simple, or should I be shooting RAW + small jpeg so I would have an image (rather than just an icon) in the "my pictures" folder? I just started shooting in RAW an assume there is an easier way than what I am doing. I am going to Alaska Thursday and fear coming home the following week and downloading 600-800 DNG files without being able to see the images. Is there an easier way to see the images? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-18-2008   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3876
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: RAW vs. RAW + small jpeg (simple question, please help)

I agree, thats why I stopped using DNG for exactly this reason. I now use psd the photoshop format. I can still see the images and the work flow is a lot smoother.

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 188
Editing OK?: No

Dana, which OS?

I can see my 40D DNGs no problem in Win XP's Windows Explorer - try installing Arcsoft's free RAW Thumbnail Viewer and see if that helps.
Keith Reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #4
Vicuna

Smile Re: RAW vs. RAW + small jpeg (simple question, please help)

Thanks for the quick replies. I have loved what raw has done for me in the last few weeks since first using it, but not seeing the images is torturesome. I have Windows XP. I sure hope the "raw previewer" works. After loading it, is this something that will just automatically work or do I need to do something, or put the pictures into it? Stop laughing. I am as green as they come. First DSLR in December, first raw image last month, first PC (Dell with 24" Ultrasharp) coming next week. First photographic oriented trip this Thursday (Alaska). Yeah, I am brand new. I wish I had asked this question a few weeks back. I was contemplating going back to jpeg because of this. Thanks for any and all thoughts.
DANATTHEROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #5
Alpaca

Hi again, Dana.

I can't remember if I rebooted my PC, but after I installed the viewer, I did nothing else to activate it - it just made all the DNG thumbnails appear in Explorer without any input from me.

You should be fine after this.

But if it still doesn't work, rather than go back to jpeg, don't forget that Canon gives us a pretty capable RAW converter in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) or - my recommendation - you could download and use a brilliant free RAW converter (and then some) called Raw Therapee.
Old 05-18-2008   #6
Vicuna

Keith,

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share. I will download the raw preview when I get home from work. I hope it works!
Old 05-18-2008   #7
Vicuna

Keith,

THANK YOU!!! It worked (flawlessly). I just downloaded the link you sent and then I could see all the DNG files in "my pictures" folders. You just cut my pp time in half. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Dan
Old 05-19-2008   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Something to keep in mind with this type of stuff: no operating system can "see" any image. It can only see and produce a visual of the data when it has a codec installed for it. Most OS's include the JPG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, etc., formats by default. Vista includes the more common RAW formats for cameras that were available when it was released (or via patches/service packs).

DNG is a proprietary format that Adobe has been pushing towards an industry standard. Technically, it's "open source" but is not widely recognized except for a few manufacturers that have started using it. Install Lightroom or any newer, updated version of ACR, and the codec is installed with it. Or just download the DNG codec directly from Adobe.

Windows XP has had a Microsoft RAW viewer available for free download for a few years. You can also download the various codecs that have been released by their manufacturers. Note that Adobe's DNG codec is down at the bottom in the ArdFry category.
Old 05-19-2008   #9
Alpaca

Happy to help, Dan.
Old 05-19-2008   #10
Vicuna

Brian,

Great insights. Thanks for sharing. I believe the benefit of saving DNG's will be more evident in the coming years. Just glad to see there is a way to view the thumbnail images rather than the DNG icons in "my pictures". I am new to digital photography (5 months) and knew it was not as hard as I was making it. Wished I had asked you guys for help weeks ago. Thanks!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: