Converting Raw With Lightroom
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008   #1
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Converting Raw With Lightroom

One of the reasons to shoot RAW Is that you can rescue a picture as these screen shots demonstrate:

File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (145.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (150.5 KB, 335 views)

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Converting Raw With Lightroom

But then, if you shot with a little more care in the first place, you could have shot jpg and had no processing of a rescue nature.....
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Left Brain Thinker

CamelKarma: 3017
Editing OK?: Ask first

Rescue is really just a term Bob.

What Kelly has done here is not so much rescue it, he has just applied his own interpretation of the RAW data, which is one of the advantages of RAW. Every new interpretation is effectively a virgin image, as if straight from the negative.

If you shoot jpeg, the camera is doing the same thing, only it is applying settings that the camera manufacturer and their engineers developed. Often that is a great interpretation, but it isn't necessarily the only one that produces an excellent result.

Adobe's default interpretation in Lightroom is another example of a manufacturer interpreting the data in a particular way and Kelly has decided that the initial Lightroom interpretation isn't the best possible for his needs.

So he hasn't rescued it as such, just applied his own interpretation to get the best result for his needs.

Had he shot jpeg, most of the RAW data would have been lost and he might not have been able to adjust the data as well if he didn't like the camera software's interpretation and resulting image.

That's not trying to say that RAW is an excuse for poor technique. It isn't and Kelly in my view has developed into more than a competent photographer. He's one of the best on the site and is very professional in both attitude and capabilities. But what RAW has given him is more control over the final image, rather than giving some of that control away.

Regards,

Peter

http://www.photocamel.com/gallery/da...lueChecker.jpg
peterst6906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #4
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460

It's ok, Peter........Kelly knows me. And exactly what I am saying.
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #5
Camel Breath

Okay boys, you caught me. I created this post because I needed to show my class what one could do with a raw converter.

I know what Bob meant. His post made me smile. It is okay.

Thanks for the comments, however.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-07-2008   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask first

You could probably do the same with a jpeg with the 'Highlight/Shadow' command in CS2/CS3, although I have to agree that you are better off doing this with a RAW file.
At the end of the day the main subject is under-exposed - The problem with this is the amount of noise that you generate in the shadows you have just brought out...

The horizon could do with straightening by the way
Old 03-11-2008   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Imagine how much noise there would have been if this was a jpeg

Nice work Kelly

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 24
Editing OK?: Ask First

Couldn't I have saved this pic if it where shot in JPEG? I think I could, but at the cost of file size (although I then would convert the JPEG to TIFF before PP).
Remarkable how the texture/colors in the sky disappear eventually. Wouldn 't it be possible to keep this like it originally is?
mujana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #9
Camel Breath

Shooting the shot in JPEG correctly the first time would have been a wonderful approach. Sometimes the dynamic range of the camera limits us and we either lose detail in the highlights or the shadows. I prefer RAW for many reasons, but namely white balance and exposure control. With RAW, I could create two different exposures and blend the two, keeping more detail in the sky in one and bringing the foreground up in another. With JPEG I would not have as much information to play with as I would in RAW.

I personally do not care for the shadow highlight tool in PS. I think the results are much better with RAW.

This post was primarily created to show my digital photography class what could be done with raw. Not to say it is the only way.

Cheers.

Old 03-17-2008   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

JPEG actually allows you to capture more dynamic range in a single exposure than raw. Raw just gives you the means to extract the DR in a user controlled manner.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: