PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007   #1
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes
Default what is the best photoshop extraction plugin?

I am looking at Mask Pro, is it the best? Is it worth the money?

thanks,
Danny

dgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4084156
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: what is the best photoshop extraction plugin?

I have heard a few good things about Mask Pro. Those that don't like a "tool" to do it, do it manually because it is better than some "action" making decisions. You have a lot of control doing it yourself, but it is more work but could be an educational experience in learning how.

Most of those people that go manual recommend Katrin Eismanns books and DVD's on the subject. You can learn more about the "Photoshop Diva" here:
Photoshop Diva - Katrin Eismann
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #3
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, I will check it out.

thanks,
Danny
Old 12-19-2007   #4
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 167669

Danny,
I do ALOT of masking out of backgrounds for my competition and fine art images...daily as a matter of fact. Hopefully I can shed some light on this for ya.

Masking programs and plug-ins work by asking you to "define" the background, ie: what you want masked out.
This is easy if your background is a solid tone, mild gradient, or background with not much detail.

If your going to be masking out a background or separating the subject from a busy or multicolored background, no plug in or masking program will make the job easier. There's just too many tones the program is dealing with to speed up the job.

We gave up after years of trying several programs and PS's background eraser tool.

Now, we use PS's Polygonal lasso tool with a slight feather to select the subject, then separate it from the background.
Does it take awhile? Sure does. But not as long as it does trying to mask using a plug in.
Old 12-19-2007   #5
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4084156
Editing OK?: Ask First

Good notes Mark. Masking, cutting, pasting in PhotoShop is a very tough thing to get right, but once you know all the tools (and masks) that can do it (not just the lasso or eraser), and how each is a bit different, and you actually do it a few times, you're golden.

Katrin's Photoshop Masking & Compositing book is a wealth of information about this very thing. Pricey? Yes. Needed if you need it? YES.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #6
dgs
Guanaco

Thanks, Mark, and Mr Pickles, I am ordering that book.

thanks,
Danny
Old 12-19-2007   #7
Llama

zero rc is a jewel in the roughzero rc is a jewel in the roughzero rc is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 276

im kin dof with mark on this one. i have tried some of the extraction tools and found the best way is just good old fasion brush work. i start out by roughing out the selections with selection tools (often using chanels) but it almost always comes down to brushes and masks by hand to ge teh edges i want. you can definately make the job easier by shooting on chroma key backgrounds.
ive never read this particular book but ive seen her other work and tutorials on the web. she knows her stuff and has been around for ever!
zero rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #8
Llama

JeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3801
Editing OK?: Ask first

I think,if you can master the use of Pen Tool, it can help greatly in knocking out the background, aside from the Lasso Tools.

The Built In Extraction of PS works fine in some cases, too.

JeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #9
Camel Breath

Jason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61045

I totally agree with Mark! I've tried several plugins including Mask Pro and they all stink on busy backgrounds. Especially with hair!

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #10
Alpaca

gallen11 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

I have tried them all and Fluid Mask 3 works best for me especially if I am trying to cut the background away from hair or other small items when the background and the item to be saved are close to the same color. None are perfect.
Gallen11

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: