PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007   #11
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: what is the best photoshop extraction plugin?

I use TLR's masking scripts to create a selection of edges. This makes is easier to "color" in the subject and remove the background, or the subject, or just to protect the subject or background from a filter effect. Like Mark said, it isn't easy, but it isn't really that time consuming. For really delicate extractions, the pen tool is very helpful at creating a path which can be used to extract an item.
Old 12-28-2007   #12
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks, jfrancho, I will take a look at those scripts. I do think learning the theory and some practice would be well worth the time.

thanks,
Danny
Old 12-28-2007   #13
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939

You can see how I used the script to create a "color in the lines" mask in this tutorial: http://photocamel.com/forum/image-ed...aw-format.html
Old 12-28-2007   #14
Guanaco

pellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 169392

Best is to shoot the model with extraction in mind. Using an evenly lit background really helps. Using a color that is not present on the model, you can get good starting results with Color Range or Extract Tool. Using a channel as the base for a layermask is probably the best method with most control.

Extraction is mostly only half of the work. When adding a new background image the light has to be about the same, color temperature, angle and lens also.

Even with dedicated extraction software there is always need for some manual touchups.

Heres an example where things seem to fit, but a closer look will certainly reveal that additional lightsources was used ( its probably ok as that is what normally is done when taking fashion photos outside ).
Old 12-28-2007   #15
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 359

Wow, your work always impresses me. I rarely can tell that your images are not with the original backgrounds. I just hope to gain your skill...

thanks,
Danny
Old 10-02-2010   #16
Alpaca

garmahis is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Vertus Fluid Mask is an amazing Photoshop plugin for masking. Check out my Vertus Fluid Mask review http://garmahis.com/software/fluid-mask-review
garmahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

ohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3198526

With CS5, you really don't need a plugin for making good masks.
Old 10-04-2010   #18
F1 Camel

Bilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 9095107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Cs4 & 5 have a "Refine Edge/Mask" tool that works as well as anything I've ever used.
24-105 f4L IS; 50mm f1.4; 70-200 f4L IS; 85mm f1.4;55-250 IS;
28-75 f2.8 IS ; Sekonic L-358;
http://bilsen.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/bilsen
Bilsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #19
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

ohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3198526

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt_ny View Post
Cs4 & 5 have a "Refine Edge/Mask" tool that works as well as anything I've ever used.

Yes...CS4 was good...CS5 took it further. I have MaskPro, but never use it anymore because it's just as easy with CS now.
Old 10-04-2010   #20
Vicuna

kkamin is just really nicekkamin is just really nicekkamin is just really nicekkamin is just really nicekkamin is just really nice
CamelKarma: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I don't agree. CS5 has introduced decent edge detection, but with a program like Fluid Mask 3, you have an incredible amount of power that quickly dwarfs CS5's capabilities. I can't even explain the amount of flexibility that program has.

The downside is that the learning curve is very steep with FM3. But check out the tutorials at this link. Some of them are mind-blowing. If you email them and find a good angle to complain about the price, they'll probably give you a discount code. I got them to knock $40 off.
Fluid Mask 3 by Vertus Tech: Tutorials - Specific Masking

I don't agree with the pen tool/feather idea. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great in my opinion. It looks slightly off when something is cut out with a uniform amount of feather around its edges.

The problem is that most images contain a variety of edge textures. The classic headache is hair. It has transparency that needs special attention. So if I am cutting out a subject with hair, I don't want to apply the same type of masking to their clothes and to their hair. Going in and painting the mask with different brushes is a good manual technique, but laborious. The best idea like others have mentioned is to shoot with masking in mind.

If you are shooting with masking in mind, you could shoot on white and use a color channel as a basis for a mask. Then go in with a brush set to either black or white in Overlay mode and fill in areas swiftly. Deke has a good 12 hour series at Lynda.com on Channels and Masks.

Good luck!

I use a super special 18-55mm lens made out of tree bark and unicorn farts
I start uncontrollable fires for my lighting
p.s. I think your gear is cool

member of ASMP
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
photography blog
kkamin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: