"Spyder 2 Pro" or "eyeone Display 2"
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 47
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default "Spyder 2 Pro" or "eyeone Display 2"

I'm looking for a good monitor calibrating device and have settled on the two above (I think), Which one would you recommend.

The Spyder 2 Pro which also creates printer profiles for selected printers (including mine), or the Eyeone Display 2 which doesn't (and can't be upgraded to)create printer profiles, but has an auto profiling procedure which supports my monitor.

I get most (all) of my printing done at a local Pro lab, therefore I reckon the best monitor calibrator is more important, however the printer profiling may come in useful later as I'm also looking at a Dye sub printer for events.

Thanks

Alan

Old 09-01-2007   #2
dsp
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 30630
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: "Spyder 2 Pro" or "eyeone Display 2"

I have the Spyder2 and it does a pretty good job. I have personally found that its printer profiles are not that good, I get much better results using the profiles from the paper manufacturers; Ilford and Epson. That said, I have friends with the eyeone and like the results better than the Spyder2, if I was to do it again it would be the eyeone. Just my opinion....
Old 09-01-2007   #3
Vicuna

Thanks Dave!

I've almost settled on the Eyeone and will be placing an order on Monday, so I have until then to decide.

Thanks

Alan
visagephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194

I would recommend the Eye-One Display 2. If you want to do your own profiles, you had best splurge and buy a full spectrophotometer or you wil moost likely not be satisfied.

tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #5
Vicuna

Thanks Guys. I've ordered the Eye-one display 2, it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2007   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I have the Spyder2 Pro, but I've used the EyeOne. They're basically the same. I'll add that Miller's and WHCC's uncorrected prints match my CRT exactly. I've never used the PrintFix software, and my impression is that in order to build accurate print profiles, you'll need a full fledged colorimeter, and they're expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with the EyeOne.
Old 09-09-2007   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 92

eye one display 2. JF is correct, you need a colorimater to do good printer profiles.
Crotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 238

I have eye one and I think you will be happy with yours. not that it is better I understand they are both good.
captlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #9
Vicuna

Thanks guys, I've had my eye one for a few days now and it's certainly made a difference to my display, however I've also discovered that my viewing environment is unsuitable and seriously lacking at the red end of the spectrum (perhaps it's the energy saving light bulb I'm using) , What would you suggest are ideal viewing conditions (room lighting and wall colouring etc).

Also what's the best method of ensuring that prints from my pro lab match my monitor? trial & error using test prints or should I request a printer profile from the lab?

Thanks

Alan
Old 09-10-2007   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Quote:
What would you suggest are ideal viewing conditions (room lighting and wall colouring etc).
ISO specifies 6500K full spectrum lighting and gray walls. I like darkness.

Quote:
what's the best method of ensuring that prints from my pro lab match my monitor?
Calibrating your display is the first step, sound color management practices embedded into your work flow is the next step. Always CONVERT to the destination space that your print service requires, and do that conversion in 16 bit/channel mode, if at all possible. There is more info here: http://photocamel.com/forum/image-ed...tml#post106073.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: