match histograms
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default match histograms

Does anyone no of a way to automatically match color, contrast etc from one photo to another?

When I was in a previous life (actually working) we used a small utility program that allowed us to semi automatically match contrast brightness and color from one photo to another.

The only requirement was that you had identical areas even if not the entire image.

The use was in aerial photography of large areas (county + equalling sometimes in excess of 3-4000 images) where it was virtually impossible to have identical conditions from one photo day to the next. time of day, sun angle, how long since last rain, has the vegetation changed etc.

operation was simple enough. All you did was to draw a select area on both photos as exact areas on both as you could then identify the source selection area and then the target selection area. The software would subtract pixel value of the source from the pixel value of the target and then take that result and adjust the individual pixel values for target photo so that the target photo pixels were identical to the source. It worked surprisingly well.

It is not fool proof as the operator needs to pick feature areas that he/she would judge should not have changed. the amount of detail ie, the altitude the photo was taken (scale)

This was originally a stand alone utility for the Imagestation and was called Imagestation Raster Utilities. I believe it is now wrapped or bundled into a GIS product called Geomedia ...? basically no longer stand alone.

Old 01-20-2018   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717294
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: match histograms

If you are using Lightroom, you can "synchronize" settings from one image to another in the Develop module, but this only works for the entire image. This can also be done in Adobe Camera Raw. If you search the web, you should be able to find out how these work. If you want to do part of an image, then the only way I can think of to do this is to take note of the settings in one image and implement them in the other image. Hopefully others will chime in and add their contribution.

There may be other software to do this that I am not aware of.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes

thanks. We would use a small sample area that was identical but apply the change to the whole image. you have given me a place to start. Thanks!
Promapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717294
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
thanks. We would use a small sample area that was identical but apply the change to the whole image. you have given me a place to start. Thanks!
No problem, hope it works out for you.

WG

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: