Best way to learn Photoshop?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 78087
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Best way to learn Photoshop?

Hi,

I am a long time and very proficient user of Lightroom but my Photoshop skills are basic at best. There are a lot of options/videos/books out there to learn PS. Any suggestions as to what might be the best way for someone to learn PS who has been a long time LR user?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 05-31-2016   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6966254
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Best way to learn Photoshop?

I'd assume you want to just use PhotoShop to take your images to the next level...to get in to a bit of pixel level editing that is harder to do in Lightroom, or impossible....?

if so, I'd start with a book. I'd look for Scott kelby's book on Photoshop for Lightroom User. Can be found here for one, and is a good advancement.

From there, you will have the basics and more than you might have wanted. But once you have those, then you can explore deeper in to other areas that you need or want to focus. I'd stay clear of just jumping in to a video barrage and try to learn a feature or technique...until you know the basics and are quite comfortable.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 57642044

Tom, Simples mate YouTube.

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
-Mark-

Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM - Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma TC1401 - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 672557

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...wlRWXK7lLuDy4D
Old 05-31-2016   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 12004952
Editing OK?: Yes

If you are willing to do a paid service, I have found Lydia.com to be very useful.

Try the free trial period and see what you think.

Canon 5D; 70D; 600D/T3i;
24-105 f4L IS; 50mm f1.4; 70-200 f4L IS; 85mm f1.4; 55-250 IS;
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 IS ; Sekonic L-358;
http://bilsen.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/bilsen
Bilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717294
Editing OK?: No

Something to think about. A lot of this "learning" depends on how you learn best. Some learn best by watching videos, some by reading a book and others by taking courses. You may not know how you learn best, but it is worth thinking about.

One thing that you might think about is taking a course locally. Where I live, the local colleges and technical schools offer courses in Photoshop at both beginner's and advanced levels. They are often given on a few successive weekends each Saturday, or at night, one or two nights a week for a period of one or two months. If you have a local college or technical school near you, then this might be an option to consider.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768

First stop, a used book store. Find "how to" books for prior versions, the basics haven't changed much through the years and you can find some real bargains.

The internet is literally awash in information and "how to" re PS.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

If you are a newbie who is interested to learning about adobe photo shop.Then I think you need to follow some steps by steps guide line.

Learn this procedure to gain Photoshop knowledge.

- How to use Photoshop Tools?
- What are Basics/ Introduction of Photoshop.
- How to design web graphics in Photoshop?
- How to draw in Photoshop?
- How to create Photo Effects using Photoshop?
- How to do Photo retouching using Photoshop?
- How to design Web Layout in Photoshop?
- How to create Web Elements in Photoshop?

Hope this process helps you to attain more knowledge about Photoshop.
Pedro Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6424
Editing OK?: Ask first

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, which is not my intent, the best way to learn to use Photoshop is to use it. Come up with a project where you have a set goal in mind - a specific edit you want to make to an image. Attempt it (on a copy). You will get stuck at some point. Now, google it. Read advice from others and watch Youtube videos. Since you tried to do whatever the task was, you will have some familiarity, and be able to pick up on the topic quicker.

I always find if I just read a book, with no endgame in mind, that it ends up being just time spent reading. If there is a goal, or a project that needs completion, I will retain the knowledge.

Just my $.02

-Matt
Canon EOS 6D with Vello BG-13 Grip, Canon EOS Rebel T2i (550D) w/BG-E8 grip, EOS 3, Elan 7N, EF 28 f1.8, EF 35 IS USM f2, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 430 EX II Speedlite
mattstaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

I think it depends on what you want to use PS for and how you learn.

Some people can just open the software and play and learn. I'm not one of those people. If I open new software I've never used, I get totally overwhelmed by it, and not having any idea what to do just drives me insane. Not being able to do what I want, and it not working just gets me frustrated and annoyed. I can't learn like that.

For me I need either to read a book before I start or watch tutorial videos. I need a starting off point before I even start the software.

For me I started by watching the photoshop guys when they made their podcasts. I think they did them weekly. I dont know if they still do them. I also read Scott Kelly's books. He teaches things you need to know from a photography perspective. Frankly we need very little of all PS is capable of. He also shows you his workflow on editing images, and that's basically what I needed. In the beginning I basically wanted a step by step workflow, and that's what I got. Now many years later I still pretty much do the same thing, but I've adapted things to my way doing it. Obviously over time you learn about different features and options and other ways of doing things. You improve and start getting better results. But in the beginning its a lot and can be overwhelming.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: