Trouble with Photoshop JPG
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Trouble with Photoshop JPG

I've been having an issue with the images I save as jpegs from Photoshop CS5. It seems like whenever I save as jpeg the color on the image becomes muddy. When I export the same image from Lightroom 3, there are no problems. Here's the weird part, some programs the jpeg looks fine (thumbnails, windows picture viewer) and other programs it looks crappy (Internet Explorer and other browsers). The Lightroom export always looks good no matter how I view it.

Below is the same image. The one on the left was exported to jpeg from Lightroom. The one on the right was saved as jpeg from Photoshop. Can somebody tell me what's going on here? THANKS!

Old 10-04-2010   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 233
Default Re: Trouble with Photoshop JPG

My guess is that PS is exporting images in a color space other than sRGB. You either have to change to sRGB with the Edit --> Convert to Color Space menu or there's a checkbox in Save for Web.

But that's just my guess.

tomrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 26628670
Editing OK?: No

I'd agree. Check your color spaces. Anytime you send an image to the web or to any program that isn't color aware (i.e. most of them), you must have them in sRGB (even if the EXIF is stripped) as many programs do not read embedded color space codes and will display anything in a wider color space than sRGB poorly.
Old 10-04-2010   #4
Vicuna

Thanks! I took a look at the color workspace settings and it lists: sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Under my "save as" settings it lists ICC Profile as being ProPhoto RGB. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to change it (only uncheck it).
kpshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

which program can't you change?

In your presets for Lightroom, change the file output to jpg and then the color space to sRGB.

In Photoshop, convert the image to sRGB color space before saving (depending on which Photoshop you have, this may be done in the default setting for save as jpg)
Old 10-04-2010   #6
Vicuna

Okay, I think I found the problem. Lightroom was set to ProPhoto RGB. So I looked up ProPhoto RGB and it looks like it a larger color space and better for, like the title says, pro photos. In my photo class, the instructor said we should use sRGB. If it's better, shouldn't I be using ProPhoto RGB? Can somebody fill me in?
kpshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #7
Photocamel Master

ProPhotoRGB isn't necessarilly for pro photos, but rather a very wide color space that allows for greater color gradients during editing and is best suited when working from RAW files in 16 bit mode. It's very useful during the editing process, but ultimately the color space includes colors that no monitor can use, no printer can print, and the human eye can't detect. SO, after you're done editing and are ready to send it to the web or printer, it's generally best to covert the final edit to 8 bit sRGB. Always convert your color spaces (don't assign them) as the color engine will accurately convert the colors to the smaller color space.

If your instructor tells you to use sRGB, then use sRGB. After you learn more about color management, you may want to explore the options available.

Note, most web browsers, Microsoft edit and viewing programs, many 3rd party edit/viewing programs do not use color management. They don't understand the codes for sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB etc. They simply display the image without regard to color space. This is the reason that sRGB was standardized -- to closely represent what the monitors and devices from HP and Microsoft were displaying. In other words, the sRGB was developed just to ensure that the non-color aware programs displayed the image pretty much as expected. The problem with sRGB is that it does clip colors. It's like having a 64 crayons and trying to fit them into a box that holds 48.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: