PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009   #1
Alpaca

Mike1234 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Epson V700 - Custom Film Holder For Large Film

REFERENCE: Epson v700 (or any flatbed scanner w/ large transparency adapter)

Has anyone tried replacing the flatbed glass with flat black plastic with properly sized apertures cut to allow the sensor to see through to the film? Specifically, I want to scan 6x12cm film without the sensor seeing the glass. I know Microtek has their system but the Epson has more potential, IMHO, once the glass is taken out of the image path. If warpage or sagging is a factor then a sheet of aluminum painted flat black would work, I think. The film would simply be pulled and held tight at the corners with tape... along the edges if necessary. I'm using rise/fall and shift to preserve parallelism.

BTW, this is a dedicated photo transparency scanner so I don't need or care about reflective scanning. This is for personal use so productivity is not an issue either.

EDIT: Removing the glass greatly reduces dust issues. Lastly, this kills the need to buy the pricer v750 because the fuid carrier isn't needed. Also, I already have all the scanning SW I need. Cheaper and better... I like that.

EDIT #2: Now that I think about it, several apertures could be cut and an entire series of negs (shot to be stitched into one image) could be scanned all at once.

Last edited by Mike1234; 06-21-2009 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Added information... again.
Mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow »

Share this topic: