PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009   #1
Guanaco

PhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1246850
Default Which DPI Resolution?

I mainly shoot in RAW and then post-process those files.

I open the RAW files with Adobe Elements and then save them as TIFF files. Elements automatically sets the output resolution as 250 dpi.

However, if I first open the RAW files with Canon's Digital Photo Professional and then convert them to TIFF files, it is set to 350 dpi by default (this value can be changed).

Which dpi resolution is optimal for TIFF files which are later converted to JPEGs? Have I been using the incorrect (240 dpi) resolution this whole time?

Thanks for the help.

Lenses:
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 IITripod: Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC2
Bag:
Lowepro 200 AW
--------------------------------------
My photography

PhotoDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #2
Llama

craftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3962023
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Which DPI Resolution?

Neither is wrong or right as the ppi means nothing till it is outputed and can be changed for the output device if needed.

Elements uses 240ppi as this is a fairly optimum standad for inkjet printers.
Offset printing usally reqiures a 300ppi res
Postcard manafactures require 350ppi res.

As you can see there is no standard and I would not worry about it unless it is a stated requirment by the user of the image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/
http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
craftysnapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #3
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDim View Post

I open the RAW files with Adobe Elements and then save them as TIFF files.
Why?

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #4
Guanaco

PhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorPhotoDim strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1246850

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post
Why?
That's the quickest way I can think of, primarily because I don't work with all of my RAW files. I only need to edit some so I open those with Elements, do the basic changes, save them as TIFF files, and continue editing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

What is a better way?
Bag:
Lowepro 200 AW
--------------------------------------
My photography

PhotoDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

felix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
That's the quickest way I can think of, primarily because I don't work with all of my RAW files. I only need to edit some so I open those with Elements, do the basic changes, save them as TIFF files, and continue editing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

What is a better way?
Weird workflow

Use Lightroom as catalog. Do the basic editing there (exposure, color temperature etc.). Then open the file with CTRL+E or from the menu to edit further in Photoshop. Couldn't be easier
Old 03-30-2009   #6
KmH
F1 Camel

KmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud ofKmH has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 6932

Quote:

What is a better way?
Forgive me, I can be dense sometimes. I don't understand why you open them in Elements first and then import them to Photoshop or Lightroom.

What do you gain in Elements that Photoshop or LR doesn't have?

"If you keep on doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting what you have always gotten."
KmH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #7
Llama

WayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 18940

Quote:
Which dpi resolution is optimal for TIFF files which are later converted to JPEGs? Have I been using the incorrect (240 dpi) resolution this whole time?
I don't understand the Elements to Photoshop work flow either. However, using TIF for intermediate work is a very good thing, because it prevents adding more JPG artifacts at every save while in work. My own flow is to do most common things in RAW (with Adobe Camera Raw), like white balance and saturation and exposure and cropping (these RAW tools are so good), and then use Photoshop file menu: Scripts - Image Processor, or Automate - Batch to convert many files (mostly finished files) at once, from the processed RAW to TIF or JPG files. HIGH quality JPG for viewing or printing (treated as Read-Only, never edited more), but when I hit one that needs more work, then I use TIF for that work.

But the dpi issue is totally unimportant at this stage. It simply does not matter (yet).

Because, digital images are dimensioned in pixels. Like 12 megapixels might be about 4288 x 2848 pixels, the 4288x2848 is the 12 million pixels. This dimension in pixels is the size of your image. How many pixels you have is what counts. The dpi value is ONLY for printing on paper, otherwise it is NOT A FACTOR about anything else.

When you print it on paper at say 300 dpi (yes, I am aware some imagine the only correct term is ppi, but I am not one of them), then you space these pixels over the paper at the rate of 300 pixels per inch. Our goal to print 8x10 inches at 300 dpi, would be 2400x3000 pixels (because, that IS 8x10 at 300 dpi). You will crop and resample at the time to create the image size you need.

Said another way, your 4288x2848 pixel image... This image size (in pixels) is the only dimension that has importance yet. The dpi field is just one little number stored away in some corner of your image file... it does not change any pixel. It does not do ANYTHING until time to print it at 300 dpi.

If that number happens to say 240 dpi, then the printed size on paper will be shown as
4288/240 = 17.86 inches by 2848/240 = 11.86 inches or 17.86x11.86 inches.
This is how much paper will be covered at 240 dpi. This is how many inches the pixels will cover at 240 pixels per inch.

If that number happens to say 350 dpi, then the printed size on paper will be shown as
4288/350 = 12.25 inches by 2848/350 = 8.13 inches, or 12.25x8.13 inches.
This is how much paper that will be covered at 350 dpi. This is how many inches the pixels will cover at 350 pixels per inch.

Assuming you use 240 or 350 dpi.

Neither size is probably what you will likely print. You may want to print 5x7 inches, or 11x14 inches. You will probably want to crop it some first, to some other dimensions than 4288x2848 pixels (removing edges you do not want to print). Whatever you end up with, you resample it to the size you want to print, like 5x7 inches at 300 dpi is 1500x2100 pixels image size (for that goal).

The initial 240 or 350 dpi values have absolutely no meaning. They simply compute the prints sizes shown above. They are just some random number until you decide what number you want, for your purpose, when then you take care of your own purpose.
WayneF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #8
Alpaca

kidnanrud is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

First of all Elements is Photoshop. I do exactly the same thing. I open raw in Elements which has a raw converter attached making minor adjustments and then, if additional post processing is required proceed to do that in Elements with a tiff result.
kidnanrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #9
Llama

WayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 18940

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnanrud View Post
First of all Elements is Photoshop.
Not exactly. Two products. Photoshop costs about $600 more than Elements.
WayneF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #10
Alpaca

kidnanrud is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

[quote=PhotoDim;704560]That's the quickest way I can think of, primarily because I don't work with all of my RAW files. I only need to edit some so I open those with Elements, do the basic changes, save them as TIFF files, and continue editing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

O.K. to clarify for myself and WayneF...when you say you continue to process in Photoshop and LR, did you mean Photoshop Elements or Photoshop 5,6,7, etc.?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow »

Share this topic: