PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007   #1
Vicuna

craigsexton has a spectacular aura aboutcraigsexton has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 149
Default Spyder 2 Express...did I calibrate correctly?

Hello, anyone ever use the spyder2express? I just got it an installed it and ran thru the calibration.

My specific worry is that when I went thru it, it gave me a before and after comparison picture. I couldn't tell any difference and worry that maybe I didn't do it correctly. However, it did state that the profile was saved and all programs would use it.

Again, when viewing recent pics I don't notice any difference.

The main reason for purchasing this was due to my lab. I currently use BayPhoto and go thru the Pro side and let them do the full correction if needed. This cost more of course and I can save a ton of money going thru the economy side with no correction. The only issues I've ever noticed from the prints by comparing them to my monitor is the brightness seams just a tad darker on the prints. All color tones and such look good and always have.

So, I'm sending off a sample print today to see the outcome but thought I'd still share this with everyone and see if you all ever had the same issue.

Craig

Old 10-31-2007   #2
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Spyder 2 Express...did I calibrate correctly?

It most likely means that your monitor was not far off. Brightness (black point) and contrast (luminance) are another story. Did the software ask you if you had any adjustments, and did you change the brightness and contrast during the process? I'm not sure the Express model does that like my Spyder2PRO does. At any rate, once you get the tests back, you'll see if the results are better. As far as getting the general "lightness" in a n acceptable zone, I rely on the histogram. Since a monitor displays by shining light and a print displays by reflecting light, there is always a slight difference, at least to my eyes. For me if I have a well exposed image file, and color is accurate, I know the print will be good.
Old 10-31-2007   #3
Vicuna

craigsexton has a spectacular aura aboutcraigsexton has a spectacular aura about

yep, the software asked what settings my monitor has. i use the Samsung syncmaster 940BW. its the wide screen model. Anyway, during the setup it did not ask me to change any of the settings. This is where it confused me.

Craig
craigsexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #4
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold

On mine, at the early stages, it asks if you want use measured brightness, etc or something, and asks if you want to use these settings. In there, I think you can change the options. I'd have to go back and look at home tonight.
Old 11-01-2007   #5
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 167669

Craig,
Johns right. If you see no difference, you were probably very close to correct calibration to begin with.

I'm using the Samsung Sync Master 225BW 22" display, and I hardly ever see a change when I calibrate.
Old 11-03-2007   #6
Vicuna

Thanks guys for the help. Unfortunetly, I'm so dang confused now on what to do.
After calibration I sent an order into Bay Photo thru the "non corrected" side. The colors look great but on some black and whites that I did on a black background, the blacks or maybe I should say shadows are terribly dark. Totally no good at all.

At that point I thought maybe I should adjust the brightness of my monitor to match the print. Brightness just dims the entire picture. How in the world to I change the actual brightness of the pic?

I'm thinking maybe I should just return the spyder2express to B&H and get a better unit?

totally confused now,
Craig
Old 11-03-2007   #7
Camel Breath

Brightness adjusts the black point.
Contrast adjusts the white point.

The two generally need to be slowly adjusted together.
Old 11-03-2007   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3618264

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsexton View Post
After calibration I sent an order into Bay Photo thru the "non corrected" side. The colors look great but on some black and whites that I did on a black background, the blacks or maybe I should say shadows are terribly dark.
When you say this ("non corrected"), does this mean they do NOT adjust your image, or that your image was NOT adjusted by YOU, so they do?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #9
Vicuna

ok jfrancho. but please elaborate. this is my first time ever trying this so i don't have a clue.

Craig
Old 11-03-2007   #10
Vicuna

Mr. Pickles, Bay Photo has two different service on their professional side. One is full color correction. The actually have 12 people reviewing all prints that go thru and adjust for tonal values (skin tones and such). I've always gotten prints that looked almost just like my monitor. I've still noticed that sometimes in a low key portrait the print may be just a tad darker.

They also have the "non corrected" side which is simply an automated printing process with no intervention. But of course all of the files I send in have been post processed.

The cost is almost half on the non corrected side. So with my business really kicking off I thought I could save a ton over a year. Ergo, the calibration mess I'm in now.

Craig

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow »

Share this topic: