PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006   #1
Alpaca

oreomitch is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11
Default Pantone ColorPlus profile

Hi Guys

I've just installed Windows Color Control Panel applet...

I began playing around comparing color profiles. I also tested Will Crocketts (ShootSmarter.com) claim that the Spyder system doesn't perform (read http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wccvx.html), which I found to be quite true.

See attched (The gray line represents the ColorPlus profile gammut when compared to the sRGB gammut).

What are your thoughts on this matter.

oreomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #2
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Pantone ColorPlus profile

Well, no profile will completely encompass the entire gamut - there will always be a compromise. Not to mention that your monitor can't even display all of sRGB, let alone some of the wider gamut colorspaces such as ColorMatch or ProPhoto RGB. This really shows nothing, unless compared to another profile. Have you compared profiles made with other devices? Can you show us that? I don't have Colorplus, so I can't really comment. My personal comparisons of Spyder2 Pro and comparable device bundles shows they all work about the same at that ~ $300 price point - as one would expect.

Not everyone can afford that, so a budget item is certainly better than nothing.
Old 10-18-2006   #3
Alpaca

oreomitch is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11

Wasn't sRGB designed/developed to match CRT monitors?
oreomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #4
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Yes and no, it was also intended for TV, video, scanning, and print. See this: http://www.w3.org/Graphics/Color/sRGB.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Image Editing, Color Management, Workflow »

Share this topic: