PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013   #11
Camel Breath

jessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorjessea strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 31315463
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: HDR Is it skill or is it popularity?

I share your feeling Josh :this image looks awful to me.If I had seen it, here, on the hdr forum,I would have quit right away without a comment.And if the guy had asked for help,I wouldn't know where to begin...Is this guy testing his followers(it crossed my mind...)?I must say many people align their position on what the majority says no matter what(many sheeps...).I think you should ask this guy for an explanation saying : usually,I love your work but,here,I would be ashamed of this one if I was the author,I don't get it?

Equipment: SONY alpha900,SIGMA 12-24,CARL ZEISS 24-70,SIGMA 180 mm MACRO,SONY DSC-R1
Software : DXO,DXOVIEWPOINT,SNS,PHOTOMATIX,AUTOPANO,ACDSEE PRO,GIMP

My gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/djeaissia/
jessea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
✌(◕‿-)✌

_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6873702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessea View Post
I share your feeling Josh :this image looks awful to me.If I had seen it, here, on the hdr forum,I would have quit right away without a comment.And if the guy had asked for help,I wouldn't know where to begin...Is this guy testing his followers(it crossed my mind...)?I must say many people align their position on what the majority says no matter what(many sheeps...).I think you should ask this guy for an explanation saying : usually,I love your work but,here,I would be ashamed of this one if I was the author,I don't get it?
Jessea I hear you but it will not even worth it, as he is very popular and has a large following so to even ask a question or dare say you don't like the image might result as in challenging his integrity etc.. It's not a bashing type of thread either just a friendly discussion if is it HDR Skill or Popularity that pushes the image.

If one can put in the time,work,knowledge, take advantage of the practice set's here etc.. Basically learn as much as you can that person can become an awesome HDR Photographer. One person I do follow now is Klaus Herrmann farbspiel photography - View. Learn. Connect. very down to earth guy willing to show people how it's done. His work is incredible and in my opinion he is in his own league.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #13
Camel Breath

toonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 34637132

My first impression of the photograph was one of impending doom, aka the Mayan prophecy. I ralaize these are more likely to be ruins from Thailand, possibly Ayutthaya.

But the underlying thought remained.

Was it possible he was using the halo effect plus over saturation on purpose to give the doom laden atmosphere. If that was the case, he succeeded in my eyes.

(Then I could be playing Devils Advocate )
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #14
Camel Breath

Stiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorStiga strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 28784518

Go to Google images, click on the camera icon and then enter this link:
http://tinyurl.com/cpvlkrf

You will be amazed at how far this image has traveled. It's all over the place!

Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Ipernity Album

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #15
✌(◕‿-)✌

_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor_Provo_ strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonamp View Post
My first impression of the photograph was one of impending doom, aka the Mayan prophecy. I ralaize these are more likely to be ruins from Thailand, possibly Ayutthaya.

But the underlying thought remained.

Was it possible he was using the halo effect plus over saturation on purpose to give the doom laden atmosphere. If that was the case, he succeeded in my eyes.

(Then I could be playing Devils Advocate )

Ok I will give you that one Tony
But how about this one?
Particularly the whites?

Link

Or even this one with ghosting & white's blown out
link
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #16
Camel Breath

toonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortoonamp strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 34637132

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
Ok I will give you that one Tony
But how about this one?
Particularly the whites?

Link

Or even this one with ghosting & white's blown out
link

Yes, certainly worse than most things posted on here.

Regarding the first image, in your original post, I will say that although it has its merits (?) as a fantasy image, though HDR may have been used to get some of the final effect, it does HDR no service by being posted under that banner alone.
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #17
F1 Camel

Biff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBiff Wellington strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 9233326

Trey has two images hanging in the Smithsonian Institute, while everyone has a few bad images it is hard to argue with success!

BTW they were chosen in a contest.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that they cannot be verified" A. Lincoln
Nikon D7000, D800,FTn, 300mm 4.5, 80-200 2.8, 14-24 2.8 , 28mm 2.8 non AI, 24-70 2.8, SB700
Critique and Comment always welcome
Biff Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #18
Former Camel

Kev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKev2010 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1544067
Editing OK?: No

Good point Biff. I personally think he is very accomplished in what he does.
Kev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #19
Guanaco

tsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armortsilva strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 159362

Trey Ratcliff

Ack.. halos around holy, spiritual things are always cool. Most people like them, but I'm not here on earth to make everyone happy.
tsilva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #20
✌(◕‿-)✌

Perhaps part of my question got lost in translation here from excitement and what not I want to re-iterate that this is not a bashing thread although part of my fault has made it seem that way in which I do apologize for.

There is no doubt this man is very accomplished not disputing that one bit, he paved the way for HDR.

I was just using 3 of his images as to argue my point which is does popularity help push the image or is it skilled? Let’s be honest all of us here have had some images that have not been as strong as others even when we all got started we have all had halo’s etc..

I will use this other example to hopefully bring the discussion focused back on track.
Think of one of your own workings which whether posted here or on another site the image wasn’t as strongly received by your peers. Now imagine if someone famous, it doesn’t have to be Trey Ratcliff it could be anybody if they happened to be the person that produced that image would there name alone help that image popularity? Of course it would. But if the image quality is not on the same standards is it Skill?
The image could’ve been intentional for all we know but then in that case does its popularity have to do with the name associated with it?

I supposed I should’ve re-phrased the question like this from the start.

To draw focus away from Trey I will use another example for a minute
Famous Abstract Artist Kazimir Malevich
At the time when he was around his art was not received by many, in fact some people thought his workings were rather odd, and not considered art at all. However in modern days’ time regardless of how people perceived his workings at that era. It is regarded as fine Abstract Art despite looking at some of the work I personally don’t see the skill in them but the name alone has made the pieces highly successful so in this example it is the name that leads to the success.

In a nutshell It really doesn’t matter whether or not I you or anyone likes or dislikes the 3 images by Trey as an example the question still remained whether it was skill or his name that helped the image’s success. I have already expressed my thoughts on the first image and the others and I do believe if it wasn’t for his name the images in question would not be as popular but that is my opinion alone.

Which is why I wanted to hear from you (The Audience here) about this discussion. Trey in his HDR Video tutorials in fact C&C one of my images from years ago in winter. It’s not different here if we discuss 3 of his images as an example to help answer the general question.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR Photography »

Share this topic: