First HDR's with the Sony NEX-7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3454539
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default First HDR's with the Sony NEX-7

For me, one of the most important things about this camera, as far as HDR goes, is that it allows me to shoot bracketed series for HDR hand-held. My Nikon D7000 did this, but this one seems to work better. You can shoot 3 exposures in a bracketed series at +/- 0.3, 0.7, 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 EV spacing. When you hold down the shutter release button all three exposures fire in rapid succession (depending on your release mode [Nikon term, Sony calls it "Drive Mode"]). Although I normally prefer to shoot AEB's for HDR when my camera is on a tripod, there is a certain creative freedom to being able to do it hand-held. My D800 wouldn't allow this.

(please don't tell my D800 that I've not only purchased a new camera that's not in its genealogy but that I've also left it at home on my current travels)

Like the Nikon D4, you can use the AEB functionality with the camera's auto-ISO capabilities. I've had bad experiences in the past when my exposure-bracketed sets used different ISO's to change exposures, so I'm leery of this. I'll post some examples at a later time of when my NEX-7 changes ISO to achieve AEB exposure steps.

For now, please consider the following: These are HDR images, merged in Photomatix Pro from 3 exposures taken at 2 EV spacing. They were all shot hand-held in the same golden-hour light with the Sony NEX-7 (with the kit 18-55 lens) and post-processed in Lightroom. Please also note that I was wearing a full suit at the time these images were taken (jacket, tie, clean underwear, everything). I was attending a wedding, and these scenes were on the grounds of the event location.

You can click on the images above and, eventually (please see off-topic point #1 below), get to a full-resolution version (if you want to pixel-peep).

Off (my own) topic number:

1) This is my first post in PhotoCamel since SmugMug switched over to their new deal. I'm confused, disheartened and more that a little frustrated. I'm not sure if I'm a fan yet.

2) I wrote up my HDR process here: Sumptuous HDR - How to Post-Process HDR Images - Sumptuous Art. If you want to read it and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it very much. It's free, it's honest and it's not something that I've made totally public yet. Double-extra bonus points go to those who provide honest (constructive please) feedback on the last few paragraphs.

3) What happened to Kev2010? I noticed he hasn't posted lately, and his profile says his status says "Former Camel". What does that mean? Is he gone?

4) I only recently saw the third Christopher Nolan Batman movie and have only just now started working on my Bane impersonations. What do you think about this? How about impersonations of Bane reciting classic Monte Python lines? "Nnnooo-body expects the Spanish Inquisition . . . Mr. Wayne!"

Cheers and gratitude go out to all who are still reading this,

a Nikon and Windows kind of guy
SumptuousArt.com | Me on 500px
SA_Tosterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: First HDR's with the Sony NEX-7

Great captures and very detailed
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

These look good to my eye, Steve, and are processed in a style that I like. However there is dense black in some of them (RGB 2,2,2)

Not to worry though, I have no doubt the HDRs from your new camera will get better with time.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 57994410

Same feeling as Josh here except that I find the grass much too green in your second picture : it looks irreal.I red your way about processing your pictures and I must say I am 100% with the PHOTOMATIX people saying you have to keep it to the basics before entering a hdr process : lens correction,ca,noise.I use DXO for that and then PHOTOMATIX.They shouldn't be tampered with before entering a hdr process except for the basics.I go from raw to dng in DXO.

Equipment: SONY alpha900,SIGMA 12-24,CARL ZEISS 24-70,SIGMA 180 mm MACRO,SONY DSC-R1
Software : DXO,DXOVIEWPOINT,SNS,PHOTOMATIX,AUTOPANO,ACDSEE PRO,GIMP

My gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/djeaissia/
jessea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 349856

Hi
Good series and nice processing
Old 08-19-2013   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 53797078

Nice. Sharp. The NEX 7 seems like a very capable camera. A bit of a magenta cast particularly in the second. I had to learn to deal with the fact that my Canon gave photos a red cast. Great start with the new camera.

Chuck
fatoldbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #7
Guanaco

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As for the black areas - I actually prefer to have some areas with pure black in my images. FYI, the NEX-7 seems to pull detail from very dark shadows. I took a sunset shot when I first got it and was amazed to see color and detail in the trees in the foreground.

The green grass - I lowered the saturation of the greens in this image. The grass in the pacific NW tends to be VERY green. I find myself struggling with the fact that I can present grass (and other foliage) in a realistic way that appears unrealistic to other people. It's hard for me to purposely pull back color when I know it's real.

Magenta - I saw that too, but it is so pronounced that I figured it was part of the image. Maybe it was caused by the sunset golden light. But that's almost certainly wishful thinking. It's got to be a magenta cast that should be corrected.

Applying develop settings prior to merging to HDR - This probably merits its own thread, but I'm going to share my opinions here quickly. I'm not adjusting vibrance or anything. I apply one of the camera settings. On Nikons, I use Camera Vivid; on the Sony I like Camera Deep. This could have been done in-camera when I took the picture if I was shooting JPG's.

Someone PM'd be regarding Kevin.

Again, thanks everyone,

Last edited by SA_Tosterud; 08-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: added "of the greens"
Old 08-19-2013   #8
Guanaco

Here's the second image again, adjusted for the magenta cast. I decreased the saturation of magenta to zero and then used the adjustment brush on the board right behind the bathtub to move the tint toward green. I don't think I removed the cast entirely.

Old 08-21-2013   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 73
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice Chevy.

Sony A 350
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombell/
Tom BELL is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range) »

Share this topic: