GTCU #1886 - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Guess the Close-up!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago   #41
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1396242
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: GTCU #1886

Nobody has mentioned flashlights or electric torches yet, and you hit the correct answer dead center. Congratulations, Greg. You win the (virtual) chicken dinner and the right to host GTCU #1887.

And, of course, Golem's "UMUBT" is the slide switch, with images #2 and #3 being the momentary contact button.

They are called "flashlights" because the first dry cells weren't very good and could only power the light for a second or two at a time, then had to recover for a few seconds so they could provide another short burst of light. The British "electric torches" is a bit more obvious, because before flashlights were invented, people often used old-fashioned flame torches for a similar purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I5384rs.jpg (43.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg I5385rs.jpg (27.6 KB, 16 views)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #42
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 11650127
Editing OK?: Yes

Greg rides in on his trusty horse and says, "flashlight". That never crossed my mind at all. Actually, the reveal doesn't even look like any flashlight that I ever saw. Way to go, Greg!

Now I'm wondering why a flashlight would be camouflaged ? ? ?

If anyone is interested in knowing, flashlights are high on the list of requested donations to homeless people and those in nursing homes, too. Everybody wants/needs at least one flashlight.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #43
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1396242

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Gal View Post
Greg rides in on his trusty horse and says, "flashlight". That never crossed my mind at all. Actually, the reveal doesn't even look like any flashlight that I ever saw. Way to go, Greg!

Now I'm wondering why a flashlight would be camouflaged ? ? ?
I got this particular one in a "military surplus" store. I doubt that it is actually military issue, but hanging a brightly-colored flashlight on your clothes can attract some unwelcome attention in a military or quasi-military setting like a paintball battle. I didn't really care about the camo feature but got it because it was small and came equipped with a red lens, along with lenses of several other colors. The red lens comes in handy for night photography to locate the buttons and things on your camera and tripod, not to mention roots, ruts, and other tripping hazards, without messing up the dark adaption of your eyes as an unfiltered light would.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #44
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 11650127
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks for the explanation!

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #45
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 526636

The manufacturers probably paint it that way so they can sell more flashlights after people drop them in the grass.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Guess the Close-up! »

Share this topic: