Nikon F Mount to Fuji X Mount Adpaters
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 8577
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon F Mount to Fuji X Mount Adpaters

I am considering purchasing a Fujifilm X-T2. I currently shoot with a Nikon D300. I have long wanted to upgrade from my D300 to a full frame camera, either the D750 or D810, but the X-T2 has gotten my attention. I am aware the X-T2 is an APS-C sensor camera.

I would like to know if any of the Nikon F mount to Fujifilm X mount adapters currently on the market work well so I don't have to spend copious amounts on rebuilding a stable of lenses.

Any tales of experience, thoughts, or suggestions on using Nikon to Fujifilm adapters will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 29908
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Nikon F Mount to Fuji X Mount Adpaters

A few years ago, I purchased an inexpensive no-name adapter that allowed me to mount my Nikon lenses on my micro 4/3 Olympus camera bodies. After I used it the first time, I was unable to remove the adapter from the lens. I ended up damaging the adapter beyond repair because I had to use a screw driver and pliers to remove it.

Broken No-Name Adapter by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Narsuitus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #3
F1 Camel

After my first bad experience with an inexpensive no-name adapter, I ordered a higher priced brand-name Nikon to m4/3 adapter (Fotodiox) that worked perfectly. Since then, I have purchased the following adapters and had no problems with any of them.

Nikon F mount lens to micro 4/3 mount body
Nikon F mount lens to Fuji-X mount body (x2)
M42 screwmount lens to micro 4/3 mount body
M42 screwmount lens to Fuji-X mount body
Leica M mount lens to Fuji-X mount body (not shown)
Leica M mount lens to micro 4/3 mount body (not shown)
Nikon F mount lens to Leica M mount body (not shown)
Nikon F mount lens to Fuji-X mount body with tilt feature (not shown)
Old Fuji X mount lens to micro 4/3 mount body (not shown)
Contax G mount lens to Fuji-X mount body (not shown)

Lens Mount Adapters by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Old 03-08-2017   #4
Llama

Thanks for the info Narsuitus. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
Old 03-08-2017   #5
F1 Camel

Most of my Nikon mount lenses are older manual focus lenses. Since I need an aperture ring on my lenses to work on my older Nikon bodies, I only have two of the newer G lenses and no E lenses because they have no aperture ring.

If you want an adapter to work with G or E lenses, you will have to purchase a more expensive adapter that provides a mechanism for adjusting the aperture.
Old 03-08-2017   #6
F1 Camel

My most unusual Nikon F/Fuji X adapter is a tilt adapter that works well with my Nikon 28mm f/4 perspective control lens that has a shift feature but no tilt feature. This adapter adds a tilt feature for controlling depth-of-field using the Scheimpflug principle to a lens that already has a shift feature for perspective control.

Before the adapter, I primarily used this lens for architectural work and panoramic landscapes. With the added DOF control tilt feature, I can now use this lens for product shots and for landscapes where great depth-of-field between foreground and background is desired.

Shift and Tilt by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Old 03-08-2017   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964085

I think the adapters work well, and like others, you should not skimp on them. Cheapest and most expensive can be avoided, but if you avoid one, avoid the cheapest ones.

That said, I think the X-T2 is a great camera, with trade-offs, like all cameras. Mount some Nikon glass to it and you still have a great tool. But if you have the FF bug, you will still have the FF bug. Not saying to not go the Fuji route, but you will still want a FF.....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 514993

Fuji seems to have skipped FF and
gone directly from APSC to "10/3".
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #9
Llama

Sadly Mr. Pickles has spoken truth, yet once again.

When I started thinking about upgrading I set my sights on a FF, namely a D750 or D810. So accordingly I set about getting the glass for the FF body first. Now along comes Fuji with, by most respects, a very capable camera in the X-T2. And then Nikon throws the D500 into the mix.

If I choose the X-T2 or the D500 I fear I will still want . . . no, desire . . . a FF camera.

I have a long and distinguished history of analysis paralysis and will have to force myself to pull the trigger no matter the target.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old 04-08-2017   #10
Llama

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and snagged a refurbished D750 to feed my FF desire. The day after it showed up I went down with influenza A for a week and a half so I haven't had much time to play with it but the one test shot looked fantastic.

If it wasn't for already having the Nikon lenses I could just as easily have gone for the Fujifilm X-T2 . . . maybe some day when the wife isn't looking.

Mithras is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: