PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009   #1
F1 Camel

pandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3125532
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Is 12 Megapixels enough?

I'm in the habit of collecting URLs that interest me, but I can't remember exactly how I stumbled upon this interesting piece.
Olympus: 12 megapixels is enough for most folks | Underexposed - CNET News

Olympus *** E-3 *** E-520 *** XZ-1 *** XZ-2
(*** Four thirds*** and Micro Four thirds systems)

Zuiko Optics: 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 ED SWD / 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD / m14-42mm / 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED / 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 ED
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #2
F1 Camel

korman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Is 12 Megapixels enough?

It's nice that this realisation slowly trickles down into the general media too.

It isn't very surprising that Olympus takes this stand, considering the smaller sensor they use and the problems with higher pixel densities. If I have only water to sell, I would also warn about the dangers of sweetened soft-drinks and underline that water doesn't make fat.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #3
F1 Camel

pandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpandora strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3125532

Well said, Korman.

Zuiko Optics: 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 ED SWD / 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD / m14-42mm / 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED / 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 ED
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #4
Vicuna

Olygirl is a jewel in the roughOlygirl is a jewel in the roughOlygirl is a jewel in the roughOlygirl is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 398

I saw Sony made a camera with 24 MP. Wow the memory cards that must use.

I agree with Pandora, well said K!
Olygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6979310

I think the correction at the bottom of the article:
Quote:
Correction 8:50 a.m. March 6: Two details in this story were changed at Olympus' request. Customers who want more than 20 megapixels should look to full-frame cameras, and imager-based autofocus will outpace phase-detect autofocus in the future, but not necessarily soon, Watanabe said. In addition, the headline was clarified March 10 to reflect that Olympus' position applies to many but not all camera customers.
says enough: even Olympus wants to have some freedom to go to higher pixel count.

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #6
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6150

Enough for what? If you are shooting and doing nothing with the picture but posting them on the internet or printing 4 X 6's and 5 X 7's, sure it is enough, heck, a 5-8MP camera would be enough. The megapixel war is an artificial war created by camera manufacturers. Megapixel is only a part of the overall IQ. Sure you will get more detail, can crop better but again, 8MP is enough for most of these tasks. Beyond 8, you will have to go to 16 or even 21 to really make an impact. Remember that the key to the resolution would be to get enough pixels to define the image at the size you want to view the image. Printing, usually looks for 300 DPI, so an 8mp camera like the 30D, prints a maximum of about an 8 X 10 or Letter size, since it is a 3504 X 2888 image, divide that by 300 which is 11.68 X 7.78666. A 12 MP, like the Noink D300 will max out at 14 X 9 or Legal size. So from 8 to 12 there is a little difference, but not really a lot. However, consider the 5D Mark II at 21.1 MP, which can print up to 19 X 12, there is much more of a difference when compared with the 30D. Or the forementioned, Sony at 24.6MP which is 20 X 13, about an inch horizontal and one inch vertical larger than the 5D Mark II or the 1Ds Mark III.

But if you are not planning or don't ever print large prints or make small crops from large pics, then there really is not much advantage to the higher MP.

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #7
Bactrian

camrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nicecamrajoky is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 48994

to say that you can not print large prints from a 8, 10 or 12mp camera...then you have never tried it. I have done 30 x 40 prints from my Olympus E-1 which is a 5.5 mp camera. The Pro lab I took it to had no problem with creating a fantastic print that my client loved. I now have the Olympus E-3 at 10.1 mp and I regularly do images 20 x 24 and up for clients. Yes the larger the file the more info to print...but you CAN get good quality from the now average size files provided by this generation of cameras. The mfg's want you to turn and burn on the latest and greatest they create every 6 months with there newest version of the wheel.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #8
Vicuna

jpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nicejpdenk is just really nice
CamelKarma: 764

Based on my 10 years of digital photography experience, I say forget about that 300 ppi "requirement" for photo-quality printing. Yes, images look great at that resolution, but you can print at significantly lower print resolution and still get excellent results, if you've taken care to produce a good image to start with. My first digital camera was a 1.6MP Kodak DC-260, which yielded 4" x 6" prints that were quite good. I even have had a couple shots from that camera used as magazine covers, printed at about 8" x 10", and lots of shots from it published at smaller sizes.

I make excellent 13" x 19" prints from my 6MP Nikon D70, so I'd agree, 12MP (in a DSLR) is plenty of resolution for most people. When it comes to P&S cameras with tiny sensors, 12 MP is usually decent at low ISO's, but at higher ISO's, not good due to loss of detail from noise reduction, but might be OK for small prints, depending on how fussy you are about image quality.

John
Old 05-29-2009   #9
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509

more than enough .. i believe in the megapixel lie .. 6MP is more than sufficient ..
But go ahead buy 12mp or more but do not complain if the noise is more vissible than before and that the pictures are olny bigget not necessairily better ,,
Old 05-29-2009   #10
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6150

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrajoky View Post
to say that you can not print large prints from a 8, 10 or 12mp camera...then you have never tried it. I have done 30 x 40 prints from my Olympus E-1 which is a 5.5 mp camera. The Pro lab I took it to had no problem with creating a fantastic print that my client loved. I now have the Olympus E-3 at 10.1 mp and I regularly do images 20 x 24 and up for clients. Yes the larger the file the more info to print...but you CAN get good quality from the now average size files provided by this generation of cameras. The mfg's want you to turn and burn on the latest and greatest they create every 6 months with there newest version of the wheel.
Of course you can, but I can bet you it wasn't at 300 DPI without interpolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Based on my 10 years of digital photography experience, I say forget about that 300 ppi "requirement" for photo-quality printing. Yes, images look great at that resolution, but you can print at significantly lower print resolution and still get excellent results, if you've taken care to produce a good image to start with. My first digital camera was a 1.6MP Kodak DC-260, which yielded 4" x 6" prints that were quite good. I even have had a couple shots from that camera used as magazine covers, printed at about 8" x 10", and lots of shots from it published at smaller sizes.

I make excellent 13" x 19" prints from my 6MP Nikon D70, so I'd agree, 12MP (in a DSLR) is plenty of resolution for most people. When it comes to P&S cameras with tiny sensors, 12 MP is usually decent at low ISO's, but at higher ISO's, not good due to loss of detail from noise reduction, but might be OK for small prints, depending on how fussy you are about image quality.

John
Sure, some can print at 150 dpi and get away with it, depends on the details. But the guideline for "photo quality" is 300 ppi or dpi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
more than enough .. i believe in the megapixel lie .. 6MP is more than sufficient ..
But go ahead buy 12mp or more but do not complain if the noise is more vissible than before and that the pictures are olny bigget not necessairily better ,,
5,6,8-12 for the most part, but who's counting? I guess the camera manufacturers, they are counting their money!

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds Forum »

Share this topic: