PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011   #1
Vicuna

ThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 73031
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Chicken Pop Pie

Pop vs pot, because I put it in a cheddar popover instead of a shell...

Wish I spent a little more time styling, none of the carrots are showing

Would love some critique...

Thanks,
Andy

Old 03-26-2011   #2
Guanaco

That Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of lightThat Guy 2-1 is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 828

Pretty cool. Makes me hungry
That Guy 2-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 156774180
Default Re: Chicken Pop Pie

Looks appetizing !!
Old 03-26-2011   #4
Bactrian

LibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 91968

I'd need to sample it before I can offer a truly objective critique! Seriously, it looks delicious!

As for the photo, I'm not a food photographer so take this as it is... My thinking is the slant doesn't work. I keep expecting it to slide off the table. Carrots would have helped with the color of the mix, and I would have expected to see a bit of sauce oozing from the edges.

You're off to a good start! I do like your lighting and composition...

Thanks for sharing!

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #5
Vicuna

ThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very niceThatJewCanCook is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 73031

Thanks all for the encouragement.

Liberty, thanks for the honest critique. I hear you. I tried the tilt to get a little more interest but I think I went a bit overboard. Also agree on the gravy, I was fighting with my PocketWizards and it soaked in a bit (do they ever work right?). I should have also kept a little extra to drizzle on the plate and over the edges. It does look a bit dry so should have also sprayed a little oil on it too...

Here is a straighter shot, but I didn't like how I chopped off most of the main subject. This being said, I do like that I got a bit more of the glass...maybe next time I'll fill it

Cheers,
Andy
ThatJewCanCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #6
Bactrian

LibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 91968

Ah... that's better! I agree with your opinion on cropping the plate.. Though now it looks as if the glass is tilted (looking at the stem). I think rather than something like wine in the glass, I'd go with ice water. It would show something in the glass as you'd expect, yet would be subtle enough to not detract. Really like your DOF on the shot!

I'd have a problem trying to get the shot... I don't think the pop pie would last long enough! Now I've got to raid the fridge!

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #7
Llama

bhphotographycdn is just really nicebhphotographycdn is just really nicebhphotographycdn is just really nicebhphotographycdn is just really nicebhphotographycdn is just really nice
CamelKarma: 412
Editing OK?: No

Great light
Old 03-30-2011   #8
Alpaca

jkderby is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

I think there is to much dark space on the upper part. Also, my eye goes to the brown blob in the back.
jkderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #9
Guanaco

wildrider is a jewel in the roughwildrider is a jewel in the roughwildrider is a jewel in the roughwildrider is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 328

Looks Delicious to me!
wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #10
Photocamel Master

Brooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2523145

Andy,

I really like the light on this shot but I think the background is confusing and distracting. I prefer a tighter crop, like this...

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food »

Share this topic: