70mm film
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 70mm film

Does anybody know of a source for 70mm film, color or BW?

I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S and I'm interested in getting a 70mm back for it
to shoot mulitple photos at a class reunion and other settings.

I've seen comments (not on Photo Camel) where people have said that Kodak
still supplies it, but when I go to their website, I cannot find it listed.
I assume that the photographer calls Kodak and talks with someone.

I know that there are labs that still processes the longer rolls, but I need
a source, not necessarily Kodak, but ANY source.

Thanks.

P.S. It thoroughly pisses me off that film is taking the back seat to digital.
I have a digital SLR camera, don't get me wrong. I DO like it very much, but
I've had a darkroom for years and love shooting film. I truly hope that film
NEVER goes away. It's a shame that Kodak pushed digital so hard at the start
and are literally abandoning us film photographers.

Old 07-16-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: 70mm film

B&H lists a few types in bulk roll. It looks like the only size is 100' rolls. Here's the link: Long Roll bulk film

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme1926 View Post
I truly hope that film
NEVER goes away. It's a shame that Kodak pushed digital so hard at the start
and are literally abandoning us film photographers.

Ugh. I got a box of 4x5 HIE B&W highspeed infrared from a guy on the large format forum and fell madly in love with the stuff. I like the way IR renders foliage obviously, but the halation and film speed is what I really appreciate about it. Other "IR" film requires opaque filters and long exposures (ISO 2 - 6), the HIE lets you use a red 25 and meter for ISO 50 or so. I shot one of my favorite images ever on it, so at least I made good use of it, but I have only about 8 sheets left AND THAT'S BASICALLY ALL THAT EXISTS IN THE WHOLE WORLD NOW. Annoying.

I did put a wanted ad up for some stuff, but people were asking like $200 for a 25-sheet box, which is a bit too much for 10-years stale film. My free-box stock had all kinds of damage to it (peppering, clear spots on the negative, etc) which I managed to work around (and luckily it didn't adversely affect my one great image from the lot).

I've shot the 35mm stuff, and it's okay for some things, but it's so grainy compared to 4x5 that I'd really rather just shoot IR with my DSLR + hoya R72 filter (except in cases where I don't want long exposures).
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #4
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask First

Hello Justme1926,

I found this question via a Google search, just now, a year after you posted it, and I'm wondering how you're getting on with 70mm film, if at all.

I've been recently gearing up for B&W processing the Maco Infrared film, and will be sending E6 to a lab in England for processing. (I'm based in the UK and spend some time in other parts of Europe.)

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin Parratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #5
Alpaca

I have a Hasselblad EL/M in which I want to use the 70mm film. So I found this forum, and am also interested in who shoots this today? I found a new friend in Finland who shoots 70mm daily, using film from Maco. But I'm also interested in finding if there are ANY color emulsions still around in this format.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
Shingoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #6
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post
I have a Hasselblad EL/M in which I want to use the 70mm film. So I found this forum, and am also interested in who shoots this today? I found a new friend in Finland who shoots 70mm daily, using film from Maco. But I'm also interested in finding if there are ANY color emulsions still around in this format.

ShingoshiDao
Hi ... (Is your name ShingoshiDao or Xavian-Anderson Macpherson ?)

You message just popped up in my email box. I would be glad to have contact with you and your friend in Finland. I am in Norway much of the time, otherwise England. I have only just recently started photographing with a test roll of Tri-X I found on eBay. I bought a bundle of assorted outdated films. I am currently without a darkroom due to moving. Hence the delay

The only new colour I know of is unperforated kodak, found at the link mentioned above. For experiments, I bought a couple of rolls of Fuji 64T Duplicating Film. But for new stock there is the Rollei IR, which you friend gets from Maco, and Silverprint in London stock fresh Ilford FP4. There has been unperforated Efke 100 asa, which is a film I started using years ago in 120 rolls. I have a loader and a few reels for B+W developing. For E6 I will send to a lab in England.

Where are you located?

Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Kevin
Old 12-06-2009   #7
Alpaca

By the way, I forgot to mention that modification to A70 magazines for un-perforated film is not a big job. There are people in the USA who can do it, and I know of some competant technicians in Germany who could also handle it. This would clear the way to use the Kodak Portra films.
Old 12-06-2009   #8
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Parratt View Post
Hi ... (Is your name ShingoshiDao or Xavian-Anderson Macpherson ?)

You message just popped up in my email box. I would be glad to have contact with you and your friend in Finland. I am in Norway much of the time, otherwise England. I have only just recently started photographing with a test roll of Tri-X I found on eBay. I bought a bundle of assorted outdated films. I am currently without a darkroom due to moving. Hence the delay

The only new colour I know of is unperforated kodak, found at the link mentioned above. For experiments, I bought a couple of rolls of Fuji 64T Duplicating Film. But for new stock there is the Rollei IR, which you friend gets from Maco, and Silverprint in London stock fresh Ilford FP4. There has been unperforated Efke 100 asa, which is a film I started using years ago in 120 rolls. I have a loader and a few reels for B+W developing. For E6 I will send to a lab in England.

Where are you located?

Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Kevin
Hey Kevin,
My name is Xavian-Anderson Macpherson. Shingoshi is an identity given to me in a dream. I added Dao later. I live in the United States. Precisely, Salem Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Parratt View Post
By the way, I forgot to mention that modification to A70 magazines for un-perforated film is not a big job. There are people in the USA who can do it, and I know of some competant technicians in Germany who could also handle it. This would clear the way to use the Kodak Portra films.
I actually found out about the problem with modifications of sprockets on another site. There seems to be a problem with Hasselblad EL's giving double-exposures. And I have the EL/M. I've been spending most of the day searching for information about this.

I was just in my kitchen thinking about this situation with all of us looking for perforated 70mm film. I've read the complaints about the cost Kodak is or was imposing on orders. And then it occurred to me. eBay would be a good international vendor for the distribution of 70mm film. They would only need three distribution sites. One each in Europe, Asia and the United States. I don't see how there couldn't/wouldn't be enough volume for them to justify it. But I realize that maybe they wouldn't want to get into the dealings of this. So then I thought, "what's the problem with a forum like this or Photo.net having it's members form a cooperative for the purpose of purchasing and redistribution of this film? Even if you do have to order a minimum of 36x 100foot rolls, I simply refuse to believe there aren't that number of photographers searching for and willing to buy film as part of a group.

I for one would be a member without thinking about it. This is a problem that should have never been allowed to exist in the first place. And it seems really odd that I would be the first one to have thought of or suggest this. I realize there would have to be an account created somewhere to handle this. But that really shouldn't be a problem. Maybe if several forums got together and approached eBay, the problem would no longer be one! Because anyone with a PayPal account could then quickly and effortlessly get as much film as they wanted at any time.

Just my thoughts on this artificial dilemma. I really do think eBay would be the best solution here. But tell me what you (and others) think about this.

ShingoshiDao
Shingoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 48994
Editing OK?: Ask first

I happen to have 10 rolls of Kodak Portra still in date. I would be willing to give you a deal for the entire batch. You can send me a reply and we can negotiate the price as well as how to carry out this if you like.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #10
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrajoky View Post
I happen to have 10 rolls of Kodak Portra still in date. I would be willing to give you a deal for the entire batch. You can send me a reply and we can negotiate the price as well as how to carry out this if you like.
I take it you're speaking specifically of perforated film? I just want to make sure I'm not making assumptions which won't help either one of us.

Maybe this is the place to start discussing a larger solution for all the photographers wanting 70mm rolls.

ShingoshiDao

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: