C-41 Lab Recommendation?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105193
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default C-41 Lab Recommendation?

All the local places have either gone out of business, or switched to a business model where the film is kept, and the customer only gets low resolution scans. Mailing my film seems to be the only solution left.

My only experience with mail order places was Dwayne's, and then only because they were the last place to develop Kodachrome. Yeah, it's been that long. Been there, done that, and yes, I have the Dwayne's T-shirt.

So who should I send my C-41 Color Neg film to for processing? Any recommendations?

Tempted to go with MPIX (Miller Lab). 19-cents a frame, seems very reasonable. I have a scanner - not interested in lowly 6 Megapixel scans. They indicate they return the film, so I can scan myself.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2182617
Default Re: C-41 Lab Recommendation?

I used BWC before doing my own (which I rarely do anyway):

BWC Photo Imaging
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 540024

It's been 25 years since I've used them, but Rocky Mountain Film lab seems to still process everything. They did some color infrared slides for me.
Gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #4
Guanaco

Thanks, both of you. I'll certainly look into both options. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the roll of film I've shot in 15 years.
Old 06-07-2017   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 128611
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
It's been 25 years since I've used them, but Rocky Mountain Film lab seems to still process everything. They did some color infrared slides for me.

Thanks for the link! Ive got a few rolls of 35 and a couple of 110 from years past, that Id love to get developed still!

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 514993
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbutler57 View Post
I used BWC before doing my own
(which I rarely do anyway):

BWC Photo Imaging
DIY is really the way now. And C-41
is so much easier than E-6 ... fewer
steps and a bit more forgiving about
temperature control ... which in itself
is easier to maintain during a process
having fewer steps. Anywho, only the
very first step is somewhat critical. If
you pre-temper everything and then
just let it coast you'll be in spec.

It's also easier to compensate for any
negs not-quite-in-spec these days cuz
you're scanning film rather than using
it for darkroom prints [if you're sane].
Golem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017   #7
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
DIY is really the way now. And C-41
is so much easier than E-6 ... fewer
steps and a bit more forgiving about
temperature control ... which in itself
is easier to maintain during a process
having fewer steps. Anywho, only the
very first step is somewhat critical. If
you pre-temper everything and then
just let it coast you'll be in spec.

It's also easier to compensate for any
negs not-quite-in-spec these days cuz
you're scanning film rather than using
it for darkroom prints [if you're sane].
I've been described as a "renaissance man," and I certainly like to DIY in just about everything in my life. I had processed my own B&W for years and years, and here in Florida, it's impossible to do 20C development without all the temperature controls color films require. The difference is, everything has to be chilled, since room temperature (and all the stored chemicals) are at 24C/75F. TMX in Rodinal 1:25 is way too fast to be consistent at 24C (4 minutes vs. 6 minutes at 20C/68F).

If I do more than a roll or two a month, I may consider processing myself, but at the current rate of shooting, Chemicals would expire long before they're consumed. Is there a C-41 kit you'd especially recommend?

I do plan on scanning myself. 6MP scans are considered high-resolution by most of the labs. Sorry, but I want higher resolution images than I could have gotten with my antique (Nikon) D70S. I already have a scanner to convert my father's vast negative and slide collection, as well as my own K25 slides from years past.
Old 06-25-2017   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2182617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arved View Post
I've been described as a "renaissance man," and I certainly like to DIY in just about everything in my life. I had processed my own B&W for years and years, and here in Florida, it's impossible to do 20C development without all the temperature controls color films require. The difference is, everything has to be chilled, since room temperature (and all the stored chemicals) are at 24C/75F. TMX in Rodinal 1:25 is way too fast to be consistent at 24C (4 minutes vs. 6 minutes at 20C/68F).

If I do more than a roll or two a month, I may consider processing myself, but at the current rate of shooting, Chemicals would expire long before they're consumed. Is there a C-41 kit you'd especially recommend?

I do plan on scanning myself. 6MP scans are considered high-resolution by most of the labs. Sorry, but I want higher resolution images than I could have gotten with my antique (Nikon) D70S. I already have a scanner to convert my father's vast negative and slide collection, as well as my own K25 slides from years past.
Even with a Jobo for temperature control, 20C is difficult without constantly adding cool water. I don't even do a roll or two a month of C41 anymore, so I sometimes wait 6-12 months to mix a batch of C41 chemicals, and they get old before I get all the good out of them.

So, after shooting color all my life, for the last 7 or 8 years I've got to mostly B&W and love it. It's even worse with large format and color as BWC doesn't do that anymore.

Meanwhile, best of luck finding a good and reasonable lab, let us know who you go with and the experience you have!
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 677564

I have been using The Darkroom lately and quite pleased with the price and what you get. You get a DL of your scans on line as well as being mailed a CD and your negs. Scanning is free at the low end. However I have just scanned two rolls with a Wolverine F2D Titan and any super pleased with the results. performs as well as any of the bed scanners out there today, only scan better is on those $16K+ roll scanners. The Wolvering is really not a scanner it is a high resolution camera that produces ~21Mpixel jpegs. The scanner willl have paid for itself in about 10-15 rolls of scans.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: