PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012   #11
F1 Camel

blumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorblumesan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: A hybrid shot with my Nikon F4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
Buying a hammer does not make someone a carpenter. Buying a piano does not make someone a pianist. ...
...simply buying and using something makes them instantly into and expert is a camera makes them a photographer...

My argument is not that one media is better than another, but that if you do not use the photographic process, why the heck do you call yourself a photographer.
Tom,

If I understand you correctly, you conceed that both the digital process and the film process, in the hands of a competent practitioner, can produce excellent images. But only in the latter case (film + wet darkroom) would you call the image a "photograph" and the practitioner deserved to be called a "photographer". I think you will find that a tough sell, even here in the Film Camera Forum.
Old 02-25-2012   #12
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923

I spent the better part of 10 years in a photo lab both in school and in the Navy. I printed tens of thousands of enlargements and contact prints. I now own a dozen film cameras and use them often but there is NO WAY IN HELL that I will go back into a darkroom when I can high res scan a film image and print it on a Epson color high definition printer up to 18 X 20 inches and do a better job without the chemicals, darkroom and a whole bunch of time, much more time than I spend on a digital image in Photoshop.
I love film, the redition and colors and the entire film culture but "Later Mate" for the darkroon stuff.
If Ansel was alive today I'm sure he would use a drum scanner and digital printer.
Old 02-26-2012   #13
Vicuna

InsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1215

craft/kraft/

Noun:An activity involving skill in making things by hand.

I got the above definition from google, so I can see how darkrooms might be more of a craft than our computers. . . HOWEVER, I will say that I would consider digital photography is a photographic process.

But hey, we are starting to get into a film vs digital debate as pointed out.

Tom, I did check out your website, but maybe you'd post a few more of your traditional prints if possible? Might be cool to appreciate the time and effort that goes into darkroom printing.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #14
Vicuna

InsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of lightInsuredDisaster is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1215

Here's another "hybrid" shot, actually, just a couple of bits of dust removed, also with the F4, in keeping with the thread title.
(Though actually I was using the MB-20, so it wasn't an f4 "S")

Sort of a back alley in China where they had all these small shops and food vendors. The food was sometimes greasy, sometimes you sat on the john for hours later that evening, but when you were standing in front of Ms Li and chowing down on the BBQ, it was the best thing in the world.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #15
Alpaca

2bits is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: No

Very nice shot!
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #16
Dromedary

tomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2684

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
Tom, I did check out your website, but maybe you'd post a few more of your traditional prints if possible? Might be cool to appreciate the time and effort that goes into darkroom printing.
Unfortunately, I am not doing much due to health problems. Another thing is how do you show the difference between a fine art print and a digital image on the web? Remember once you scan it for the web it is then a hybrid image.

Actually in my experience the time an effort involved in a great silver print and an great digital image is not much different. The difference is that with the silver print you are working with your hands and mind, while with the digital image it is almost entirely your mind.

While I do differentiate in my mind between traditional photography and digital imaging, do not think I am saying one is better than the other, both can result in fine art. To me seeing and snapping a picture is like having an idea for a novel. Anyone can do it. The difference between seeing and snapping a picture or having an idea for a novel and a fine art print or a finished novel is a lot of work and knowledge and finicky details. Or to paraphrase Kodak's old sales pitch, "You do the easy part, and we will do the rest".

There is room for people of all levels in any hobby, be it photography or music or anything else. You do not even have to be good at it to have fun. Digital has made the process cheap, although it has raised the cost of entry tremendously.

Over on Rangefinder Forums in the 120 RF Folders forum there is a photo thread right at the top. Looking through it will soon show anyone that it was not the cost of the camera that determined the quality of the photos, many of those photos were shot with snapshot cameras with only a 3 element lens, but many of those are excellent photos, I would guess that many of the not so good ones would also be excellent if the poster had better scanning skills. It proves that with modern film even a snapshot camera from the 1930's can produce superb photos, most of the improvements in cameras from then on were a case of adding features. Features sell things, even when they are not an improvement. I used to use a tag line of "Idiot proof = expert proof".

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera Forum »

Share this topic: