PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012   #11
Bactrian

M. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of lightM. Worthington is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1033
Default Re: February challenge -- hard light

Some very good work here so far.
M. Worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #12
F1 Camel

Bilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 9095107
Editing OK?: Yes

Bobby, not an argument but a question.

I look at your frame of Morgan and my # 1 frame of Marketa and they seem to be very similar in terms of the light and the fuzziness of the shadows. What differences do you see that I'm missing in regard to the "hardnness" of the light?
24-105 f4L IS; 50mm f1.4; 70-200 f4L IS; 85mm f1.4;55-250 IS;
28-75 f2.8 IS ; Sekonic L-358;
http://bilsen.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/bilsen
Bilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Bobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 18470677
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt_ny View Post
Bobby, not an argument but a question.

I look at your frame of Morgan and my # 1 frame of Marketa and they seem to be very similar in terms of the light and the fuzziness of the shadows. What differences do you see that I'm missing in regard to the "hardnness" of the light?
The modifier used and the angle of incidence to the lens are the predominant difference. Yours uses a soft box mine a bare beauty dish. The initial quality of the light produced by these two tools is significant.

The similarity of shadows you see is more a product of distance then the way in which the light was delivered.

Any single light source close to a background is going to produce a reasonably hard edged shadow line as you can see under the chins of both models. Were Morgan as close to the background as the model in your shot you would see the difference very clearly as Morgans shadows would be very hard edged. However we all know that one way to soften shadows is pull the subject away from the background. In Morgans case she is nearly 12' from the background and I was shooting up thus displacing the shadow behind her so that it does not start directly under her as in your shot. The result is the background shadow is diffused by distance and further diffused by the distortion of the curve of the cyc wall floor. Had she been against a wall as in this shot which was lit the same way

you would find the resulting shadow much harder. Again though there is more to hard light then just the simple shadow it produces. The true qualities of the light come into play as well. Detail is captured much sharper with a harder light. The detail edges tend to remain utterly crisp. Contrast is higher and color can render much more dramatically with properly controlled hard light. Sometimes web res compression really masks the true qualities of a photo particularly in a full body frame where fine detail is harder to see. The very smashing of pixels required to achieve web file sizes is of course destructive to the pixel and thus to resolution so seeing the true nature of the relationship between hard light and detail is harder to see.

As far as physically comparing shadows between the two photos a closer comparison would be to compare the shadows under the chins. In that case you will see the density of the shadow under Morgans chin is much deep and harder or plugged meaning they obscure more detail then the shadow under Marketa's chin.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

"Woman is proof the God does not build in straight lines"Bobby Deal 2012
Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #14
F1 Camel

Bilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBilsen strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thank you for the explanation.

I learn something pretty much every time you comment.
www.pbase.com/bilsen
Old 02-07-2012   #15
Photocamel Master

Bobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBobby Deal strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

You are welcome John

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Old 02-15-2012   #16
Photocamel Master

So is that all no one else has any hard light they would like to show us?

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Old 02-21-2012   #17
Guanaco

lkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorlkeeney strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 169632

Here is one Bobby.

Hard-hard light.

This was the last image taken as I was tearing down my studio. This young lady was sitting on the floor as I was taking down my lights. I handed my assistant one of my strobes and told her to hold it up and to the right, about 3' from the models face, and I just took this last shot. In my opinion, it turned out to be the best shot of the day, as I don't normally shoot dramatic looking images.

Old 02-23-2012   #18
Alpaca

nosaya is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Hannah D - "M Model Mgmt' Los Angeles.
Single bare bulb PCB Einstein strobe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_9966-Editbw.jpg (45.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0014-Editbw.jpg (47.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_9968-Editbw.jpg (45.6 KB, 77 views)
nosaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #19
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaya View Post
Hannah D - "M Model Mgmt' Los Angeles.
Single bare bulb PCB Einstein strobe.
Beautiful work from both of you.

She's gorgeous butnthen again, that's kind of her job description.
www.pbase.com/bilsen
Old 02-23-2012   #20
Alpaca

opie1280 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Cool stuff.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: