Women's March 2017 - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017   #21
JJu
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3310123
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Women's March 2017

Good job documenting history. I'm glad to hear things went peacefully this time. Your new president has gotten many worried, if not scared. It's a brave thing from these ladies and their supporters to go out on a march to show they do not approve of the new administration.
Old 02-13-2017   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 339470

I saw some photos of this event that showed lots of trash on the streets after the march. Curious if you noticed the litter left behind at the march you covered?
Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #23
Vicuna

I doubt these were shot for a newspaper, but as a former photo editor, most of these would not be usable. If you were trying to take snapshots, you succeeded. If you were going for more, I think you have room for improvement. For those who want to improve their skills for these situations:

- Fill the frame. Look for anything that isn't needed, and do whatever it takes to eliminate that element. Fill the frame with story-telling info.
- Faces need to be shown. A sign without a face is pretty much useless.
- Timing is huge. Some of these seem to be just grab shots, without thinking about timing. Waiting for a few minutes is totally normal for this type of image. You don't have to have your camera at the ready for that time, just raise it when you sense the elements are all coming together. "Compose and wait" is the motto of many top photojournalists.
- Composition needs more impact. Leading lines, rule of thirds, framing elements, etc.
- Angles are all normal. Sure you will shoot from normal height, but is a lower or higher angle improves the image, do whatever it takes. If you didn't climb or kneel down for at least a few of your photos, you simply aren't working the scene hard enough.
- Don't be afraid to get closer, and still closer. If you are in public, you are allowed to shoot whatever you see (with few restrictions).

Wedding photographers and corporate event photographers make decent money when they use these techniques to create dynamic images that others miss.
Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #24
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 96012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk1000 View Post
I will only say that I marched alongside my daughter and my wife and her daughter marched in Topeka, Ks. I can only relate their fear of being fair game for assault by those in power. And the difference in pay for the same job.

I know this, women in my line of work get paid the same and get plenty of time off. How do I know. I am a manager and see everyone's salaries and bonuses. In fact I hire women with pHD's at a higher pay rate than a man with a BS degree. Also paid bonuses for performance not based on sex. We just completed a company wide study that shows were are equal pay. I do understand there are some industries like nursing where a man may get paid more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017   #25
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

Blad boy, I was not trying to shoot for publication, more for myself and thought I would post some. My wife, who was a newspaper photographer went to our capitol to march while my daughter and I marched locally. Her shots probably would make a better presentation since she did all of those things you mentioned. Me, I just was shooting to send to a few friends who also marched but thought it might be good to share here. And to answer your question about trash, I guess our women were more tidy since the trash level was very low.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

forceofnature---I am happy to hear that women in your line of work are paid equally. I am in the legal profession and it is also getting better but I know of many places where this is not true. One of my daughters has her PhD and is only now closing the gap between her male colleagues and her. My daughter did not march for equal pay but for the right to be left alone and not be in fear of assault. Maybe not a good reason for some but a lot of the women felt that way so it must be a problem.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #27
Vicuna

When the government discriminates against any group of people, it is wrong in my book. https://www.sba.gov/contracting/gove...all-businesses

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance »

Share this topic: